Existing Member?

Stock Market Nomad Financing world travel as I go by trading stocks online - that's the plan!

Eritrea - my first visit to Africa

ERITREA | Thursday, 17 February 2005 | Views [918]

Africa! Setting foot on African soil is like a homecoming. In a certain sense, we are all African.

Our visit to Eritrea came as a surprise to me and the rest of the Juneau crew. It wasn't originally planned for us to come here, but surprises are a way of life in the Navy, and this was certainly one of them. Our ship was here to host a diplomatic reception, so the first day there I did get off the ship, but only to the security checkpoint onshore. On the second day, though, I did get to venture out in town.

Eritrea - hope rises from the ashes of war

Mitsiwa is Eritrea's main port. Given its strategic importance near the southern end of the Red Sea, it had seen some battles during Eritrea's long war for independence from Ethiopia, as evidenced by the bullet holes and craters on many of the buildings near the port entrance. I didn't feel the urge to take many outdoor pictures.

The town itself, though small, is clean and lends itself well to walking. There are almost no cars or bicycles to contend with, so you can walk around at a leisurely pace.

The people are very friendly, and one guy, Yemani, became our tour guide of sorts for the afternoon. He spoke fluent English and had lived in the States in Rochester, NY, prior to returning to Eritrea. Who would have thought! With his help as an interpreter, I ate at a local restaurant, made some friends, and even bought Eritrean music and some blank CDs.

ln the long run, I think that the Eritreans' lot will improve, for one basic reason. In Yemani's words, "Eritrea needs more entrepreneurs." When's the last time you heard ANYONE say that? For a developing country that has a lot of developing to do, that's certainly the right attitude. Entrepreneurs are the engine of any economy. While others bemoan the lack of jobs, and other similar gripes, entrepreneurs see what is possible and CREATE a job, not just for themselves, but for others as well.

Note that even though we as US sailors were clearly richer than the locals, Yemani wasn't asking for handouts. He used his skills to make some cash. If his attitude is common among Eritreans, this country will go far.

The Eritrean government is doing some of the right things, apparently, by building roads and developing relationships with the US and France. Both countries have made port visits recently, and our visit was mainly a diplomatic one. With a large natural bay, I could see why both countries would be interested in this port's potential.

Tags: Port Visit

About stock_market_nomad

There are two lions outside of the Hong Kong Shanghai Bank building. 
Touch the lion's paw for good luck!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Eritrea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.