Existing Member?

Travels in South America

Bariloche

ARGENTINA | Sunday, 30 November 2008 | Views [634]

I've got an early start so here come 3 quick stories (probably with lots of spellings mistakes, especially place names).

After leaving Puerto Varas we crossed the border back into Argentina and went to a town called Barilcohe.  It has a pretty similar stting to Puerto Varas, lots of hills and lakes.  For some reason Bariloche looks kind of Swiss and lots of people have St. Bernards.  No idea why.

We stayed in a hostel called Pudu which is run by an Irish couple(can't get away from the bloody people) and an Argentinian.  It was pretty good, the breakfast was nice and there was a really good crowd of guests.

We made two outings while we were there.  One highly unsiccessful and one fairly succesful.  Plus we had what was only our third proper night out of the whole trip!

We went to Cerro de Catedral on the Saturday (22nd).  We thought it would be an easy trip to the top of a hill, bus then cabe car.  Then we'd have a wonder around and admire the view.  First of all we couldn't find the bus stop, after waiting at the wrong one for half an hour we went to find the right one and the bus drove right past us. Boo. 1 1/2 hours later we got the right bus.  Yay.  When we got to Cerro de Catedral everything was closed excet for one cable car.  This wouldn't have been a problem if we could have actually afforded to get on it.  It was £10 each.  Rip off.  The afternoon wasn't a complete disaster though.  We had a really nice hot chocolate while we were waiting for the bus back.

That night we went out on the town to laugh at Argentinian dancing and drink some beer.  The evening (I say evening, we didn't leave until 10 o'clock, Argentinians lve their late nights) got off to a bad start when I had to go back and change my shoes.  I was wearing flip flops and it was raining, and my feet got wet and it was really icky and I hate it.  But then we found a nice pub had some drinks and then went to a rock and reggae club.  It seemed to only play reggae.  Dave was so drunk he started to fall asleep and so we were home by half 3.  Early apparently!

Sunday we went to cerro de campanario.  Another hill.  Apparently the view from the top is one of the top 10 in the world according to National Geographic.  I have to say it was a very rewarding view for only half an hour of climbing. 

Monday we hopped on the bus for a quick 14 hour journey to Puerto Madryn.

Cerro de Campanario, Bariloche.  Apparently one of the top 10 views in the world.  It is very pretty.

Cerro de Campanario, Bariloche. Apparently one of the top 10 views in the world. It is very pretty.

Tags: bariloche, pudu hostel

 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.