Existing Member?

Travels in South America

Lake Titicaca Part II

BOLIVIA | Tuesday, 7 October 2008 | Views [547]

So we got the bus across the border into Bolivia and stayed in another town beside Lake Titicaca.  This one is called Copacabana.  No it is not the place that the song is about but I’m sure you’re all now singing it.  Don’t try to pretend you’re too cool to know the words.  Copacabana is a really nice place.  Way better than Puno and a good start to Bolivia.  It’s a small pretty, clean town with a couple of really cool hotels.  One of them has all these little suites with hammocks and kitchenettes and stuff.  It was too expensive for us but in real terms it costs nothing, £13 a night per room.  We stayed in the place just down the road which has similar suites but also normal rooms.  I wanted to stay there because it had gardens with hammocks in.  Hammocks that were about to be our downfall!

 

We spent a very lazy morning swinging in a hammock and reading books (yes even Dave was reading).  It didn’t feel that warm because there was a cool breeze.  Little did we know the wind and the sun were playing a practical joke on us.  We got out of the hammocks feeling fine.  A few hours later the redness begins to appear.  Dave had burnt the insides of the bottom half of his legs.  I’d burnt the underneath of the top of my arm, my ear, my scalp and I had a red ring around one half of my face close to my hairline.  I have to say we looked beautiful.

 

After two lazy days we decided to actually do something and went on a boat trip to the Isla del Sol (Sun Island, in case you couldn’t work that one out).  It was a pleasant enough journey and the island is very beautiful and the lake looks so blue and clear from there.  We paid to see a ruin and then started the walk from the North to the South of the island.  Half way along a man stops us and says we have to buy a ticket to pass his village, we didn’t even go anywhere near this village but it was only about 50p so what the hell.  Then we get to the southern end and we have to pay some other guy to pass through his village!  Would you believe it?  The walk took 3 HOURS.  3 hours at altitude is a long time to be walking and I was knackered.  We got back on the boat and headed back to Copacabana.  A lovely day out.  The next day, Monday 6th October, we got the bus to La Paz.

Tags: copacabana, isla del sol, lake titicaca

 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.