Existing Member?

Tribulations of a swiss guy From solo to family travel, or things that happen when you meet the right person on the road. And how we're transmitting the travel bug to our children.

Back on foot

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 12 September 2007 | Views [995] | Comments [2]

At the entrance of the parc

At the entrance of the parc

Watching Roger Federer win – again – the US Open happened to be the last thing I did as an Ambassador. The match was showing at 6:30 AM, and a straight set victory allowed me just enough time to check-out before 10 o’clock. But the experience wasn’t completely finished. I was in for one last surprise. As I stopped to refill the tank, I had a friendly little chat with a very nice lady, as it happens sometimes. When I showed up at the counter to pay, the attendant gave me first a weird look, then a weird price. I thought she had misunderstood the pump number, but she was only under instructions from the nice lady, who had just paid $30 from my bill. The attendant had to wait until she had driven away, so I didn’t have a chance to say thank you. I guess writing this is my way of showing my gratitude.

This was a beautiful final point to a 6 weeks adventure Down Under. A month and a half to get a taste of Australia, for pretending to see it all in one trip is not only illusive, but stupid. I just tried to make the most of the opportunity, with its share of frustration at missing out on something, its share of unforgettable memories, and surprisingly, its share of solitude. After nearly a year and a half on the road, having backpacked and cycled my way around, driving the Ambassador was the first time I experienced loneliness. Such long stretches of emptiness shouldn’t be undertaken alone. So two things are for sure, I’ll come back to Australia, and I won’t be alone.

Tags: ambassador van, on the road

Comments

1

Good on you mate - have really enjoyed reading your blogs. It has been a long trip aye - how many K's did you clock up?

Best of luck for the rest of your journey.

Timo

  wanderyears Sep 13, 2007 7:36 AM

2

Thanks Timo, it's always good to hear somebody enjoyed your work.

Yes indeed it has been a long trip. A little over 7300 km with the Ambassador van. But the voyage in itself is not over. Next stop is South America, via Europe, and don't ask me why tickets are cheaper this way around! So since I started this blog in english, I might as keep on updating it.

Cheers

  steph Sep 13, 2007 1:53 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.