Existing Member?

Tribulations of a swiss guy From solo to family travel, or things that happen when you meet the right person on the road. And how we're transmitting the travel bug to our children.

Wild flowers

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 8 September 2007 | Views [9390] | Comments [3]

The southern part of Western Australia has the reputation of becoming ablaze with wildflowers in springtime. Spring being not that far away, I have witnessed the prelude of Nature’s great symphony. The fields went from ochre to green, and progressively yellow the farther south I drove. The countryside was covered in yellow lilies in some places. This being said, I felt I had to make a small detour and backtrack a bit north to see Badgingarra National Park. Wandering along the paths inside the park allowed me to see up close a myriad of wildflowers, most of them less than a centimeter wide. Water being scarce for most of the year, plants try to lose as little as possible to evaporation, thus reducing the size of their flowers and leaves. In order to attract bees and other insects, they compensate for their lack of size by showing off the brightest of colors. Such details can only be appreciated up close, and for once I agree that a picture is worth a thousand words. That’s why the gallery going with this article is much bigger than the others. It all left me speechless, and I’m not sure I’d be able to convey the emotions even in French.

Tags: ambassador van, the great outdoors

Comments

1

Hi That flower is not a wildflower. It is a South African import to Western Australia called a Gazania (not sure if that's the correct spelling). Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

  Jane Jul 19, 2010 1:28 PM

2

Hi Jane! Thanks for the info. And this isn't bad news at all. I just call flowers that grow by themselves in the nature "wildflowers".... Anyway, at least now I know the name of this one ;-)

  steph Jul 25, 2010 9:36 PM

3

Thanks for sharing this beautiful picture, I enjoyed the oppertunity of seeing images through your camera lens.

  Pune flowers Jan 17, 2012 9:39 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.