Existing Member?

Tribulations of a swiss guy From solo to family travel, or things that happen when you meet the right person on the road. And how we're transmitting the travel bug to our children.

One of the two outside the States

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 30 July 2007 | Views [920] | Comments [2]

The mighty B-52

The mighty B-52

Well, this definitely woke the air fan in me up. There is a B-52 in Darwin! At the Australian Aviation Heritage Center to be more precise. It became instantly the goal of my day, since I had never seen such a monster. I had seen the results of B-52 bombing raids in eastern Laos, near the Plain of Jars. It was very impressive, with the landscape looking like the face of capitain Castillo in Miami Vice. Funny thing though was that trees and plants were mostly growing out of bomb craters, where they could easily reach the under and more nutritive layers of the ground.

The noise of a C-17 taking off lets you know that you're right next to an RAAF Base. The hangar that serves as museum has been built specifically for the huge US bomber. Built in the late forties early fifties, it dwarfs all the other exhibits that seem to be here only to fill the gaps. Well, it may be a bit unfair, since there's a magnificent replica of a Spitfire, all kind of relics from WWII or a Bell Cobra chopper that served in Vietnam. But the main attraction is incontestably the mighty bomber. There's even free guided tours twice a day, and the guy knows the bird by heart and makes an hour fly by in a heartbeat.

Tags: ambassador van, sightseeing

Comments

1

C-147?????? Is that an enlarged, Ozzie version of our C-47??????????

  peter k Jul 30, 2007 7:02 PM

2

Hi Peter,

You're absolutely right. As I said I just heard it. And my mistake was that I didn't have time to check the info. I saw one landing when leaving the museum. Impressive quadrimotor. Called Boeing C-17.... RAAF brand new toy.

Thanks for the message

  steph Aug 4, 2007 6:47 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.