Existing Member?

On a Nomadic Food Quest

Rock La Casbah

ALGERIA | Thursday, 13 March 2014 | Views [2229]

Evident Islamic influences, Arabic accents and colours of whites & blues defines this exotic location, nestled along the Mediterranean Coast of North Africa, lies Algiers. A place that provides all the things I love about travelling – unexplored territory; no tourists.

IMG_5080.JPG (2)

Quickly you gain a sense of community wandering the bustling souq’s of the Casbah - fresh fruit stalls, congregation of men drinking coffee and women with  white lace masking all but their eyes, routinely navigating  their way through the marketplace. Haggle for some fresh farawla (strawberries) or tamar (dates) and line up for the street snack of  baked hommus in bread from the bakery; best eaten with plenty of spicy harissa, all washed down with a cup of  homemade lemon drink.

IMG_6267                                                                                                                  IMG_6269

IMG_5078.JPG (2)

A historically significant part of Algiers in its fight for Independence, the Casbah is the centre point. Underground Hammams and old palaces, famously Bastion 23, are buried througout, with a large population of people still living within its walls. Sounds from the Mosque echo through the run down labrynth of lane ways and steps that climb the hills behind the modern town. Whilst a very interesting place, one recommended only visiting with a local who knows the ways around the Casbah and its people.

IMG_6260IMG_6268IMG_6262IMG_6261

From the centre of  old town, head down along the Algiers Harbour past La Grande Poste d’Algier and Jamaa El Kebir (The Great Mosque), said to be the oldest in Algeria; both representing the white architecture of the region.  Make your way up the windy road to the stunning Notre Dame de Afrique – like a palace sitting high above with sweeping views of the sea and neighborhoods below, this church is the highlight of Algiers and one even a local will say you cannot miss..IMG_5082The best way to explore such a unique, yet uncertain part of the world is with a driver who knows the safest places of the city and understands the local customs to avoid any disturbances.

Enjoy Algiers; its a special place to be and one for those who like to explore the road less traveled.

About souksafari

Proud as punch!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Algeria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.