Existing Member?

Sorkoo Adventures

Our China Adventure - Part 3

CHINA | Sunday, 16 July 2017 | Views [632]

We got off the train in Xi'an and it was HOT!!! My app was reading 103 degrees Fahrenheit. Seriously HOT! Thankfully our tour guide realized that all we wanted to do was sit in the AC and stay cool. So he dropped us off at our hostel and gave us the afternoon off to rest and get settled. After finding some lunch at a giant mall, we joined the group for an evening bike ride along the Xi'an City Wall. The wall was built to protect the city which was the ancient capital of China. It has been destroyed and rebuilt many times. The wall we biked on was constructed 600 years ago. It was a nice ride though still a little hot. We ended our ride in time to see the sun set beyond the wall. Than we were off to the Muslim Quarter to visit the night market. As is our style, Danny and I skipped the souvenirs and went right for the tasty food; roast potatoes, spicy tofu, pomegranate juice, lamb shank sandwich, and real fruit ice pops. Yum!!! 

The next day we went to the main attraction in Xi'an, the Terra Cotta Warriors. We met the farmer who discovered the warriors while digging a well. In our opinion, finding the warriors was bad luck for him. He must sit in a tourist office every day, wave and be happy. He doesn't get paid. The government took his land and gave him $30. We felt pretty bad for him.

That being said, the warriors are amazing. Our guide did his dissertation on the Terra Cotta Warriors and the emperor they were built to protect. We got an awesome history lesson. These clay figurines have survived thousands of years including an earthquake. Most have broken into pieces and the scientists are slowly putting them back together. I don't think we will ever forget this visit and I can go on and on about what we learned. If you really want to know more leave us a comment and we'll share. 

Seeing the warriors was an all day adventure but Danny and I had enough energy left to go see the water and light show at the Big Wild Goose Pagoda. It was Friday night and crowded with families wanting to catch this free show. It was fun and a great way to end our time in Xi'an.

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.