Existing Member?

Bobbing along

Hirakata, Japan

JAPAN | Sunday, 5 August 2007 | Views [1042]

November 2005

Hirakata! Located between the commercial metropolis of Osaka City and the ancient capital of Kyoto, Hirakata is a high-density suburban city bordering the Yodogawa River and the Ikoma mountain range. The city was established in 1948, and it used to be a place for manufacturing weapons during World War Two. The city developed rapidly during the 1960s and 1970s because of the strong Japanese economy and people moving to Osaka to work, and so settled in Hirakata as it was a short commute and a cheaper place to live. We were going to Hirakata Park - it's an amusement park, but at that time of year the Chrysanthemum Doll Show is held. British Nick had heard about it and suggested it to us as a great chance to get some pics.

The chrysanthemum doll show has been held since 1910, and the year we went was to be the 94th show, the last show, of an event which was firmly a part of Japanese culture. I wanted to see it before it was lost forever, but I never discovered why they were going to stop doing it.

The chrysanthemum dolls were life-size dolls garbed in costumes made of small, natural chrysanthemums with roots. The dolls depict 9 famous scenes from Japanese history. Background scenery, such as a temple or a castle, was used to reproduce the atmosphere and feeling of different eras and places with the settings sometimes recreated in actual size. The number of chrysanthemums used to clothe each doll was between 100 - 150 plants. I discovered that to retain the freshness of the dolls' costumes, the plants, including the roots, were watered daily and must be changed every 7 - 10 days, requiring a total of 40,000 plants for the entire show! I have to say that I thought it a truly staggering display of natural beauty and man-made props. I lingered a while and when I emerged into the sunlight, Andy, Junko and Aussie Nick were sitting on a wall waiting. Brit Nick took a further 20 minutes, having taken pictures from every conceivable angle!

We entered the amusement area and proceeded to ride on all the rollercoasters and go on all the rides available! I didn't go on the "Great Drop: Meteo" as I don't like the thought of being elevated straight up in the air and then plunged down to the ground in a few seconds! But I used the movie feature on my camera to record the others doing it! Aussie Nick was positively green when he came off it and swore he'd never do it again! Brit Nick, Junko and Andy went on it 4 times! The Ferris wheel, the highest in the Osaka area gave us a wonderful view of Hirakata, and as we went up at dusk, we could see all the glittering lights below. The other rollercoasters were cool, and we had a great time. At the end of the day we went for a meal, and then went home.

Tags: Adventures

 

About soemmia


Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.