Existing Member?

Bobbing along

Fushimi-Inari shrine, Kyoto, Japan

JAPAN | Sunday, 5 August 2007 | Views [336]

November 2005

I arranged for my ex-student Yuki to come with Andy, Brit Nick, Aussie Nick ,Junko and I to Fushimi-Inari shrine in Kyoto. I'd been with Mum in May, but we hadn't finished the walk as we'd been too tired. The shrine has bibbed stone foxes standing guard and was dedicated in the 8th century to the "kami" of cereal crops, rice and sake. The entire complex, consisting of 5 shrines, spreads across the wooded slopes of Mount Inari. A pathway wanders 4km up the mountain and is lined with HUNDREDS of red Torii gates. There are also dozens of stone foxes. The fox is considered the messenger of Inari, the god of cereals. There is a key in the foxes' mouths that is for the rice granaries. The fox is seen as a mysterious and sacred figure capable of "possessing" humans, and the favoured point of entry is under the fingernails.

We did the walk around the upper precincts of the shrine, and the path is surrounded by trees and plants, and beyond that a huge forest rears up. Local delicacies are sold on the approach streets, including barbecued sparrow! We didn't try any though. At the top was a huge graveyard with foxes everywhere and small Torii gates where family members had written prayers for their loved ones. Businessmen also visit the shrine to pray for prosperity. It was a delightful walk, and although it was a little cloudy, the sun peeked through and kept the chill off. After that we took the subway into Kyoto and went to our favourite all-you-can-eat and all-you-can-drink Korean-style barbecue restaurant. It was a great end to a perfect day.

Tags: Culture

 

About soemmia


Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.