Existing Member?

Bobbing along

Heian-jingu shrine, Kyoto, Japan

JAPAN | Sunday, 5 August 2007 | Views [425]

On 13th November 2005, British Nick, Junko, Andy and I went to Heian-jingu shrine to witness the shichi-go-san (7-5-3) festival. It was quite a warm day, the sun shining through the trees creating patterns on the shrine walls and garden, and the sky was a perfect blue. We couldn't believe it was November! The festival is the most special and important in a Japanese child's life. When they become 3, 5, and 7 years old they are dressed in decorative kimono and gowns and taken to a shrine so they can be blessed by the priests. The family escort them, all dressed in their best (most mothers also wear kimonos) and pray for the health, happiness and success of the child/children. It looked like a lawn of butterflies. There were definitely over 100 children there, all wearing different coloured kimonos, bags, hair ornaments and shoes. I swear that every shade of every colour was represented. Some children even had little decorative winter kimono coats over the actual kimono - in fluffy material or white suede with bobbles and tassels or motifs. The boys were just as cute with traditional designs indicating the Samurai on the back of their gowns. The boys represented the darker hues and tones - blues, greys, greens and mauve to dark purple. Nick and I wandered among them and asked permission of a great many parents to photograph their infants. They all agreed as they are so very proud and want their children to have attention and be told how cute and beautiful they look. I think what I found so amazing was the way the 7 year olds held themselves. It was almost as though the parents had told them how to walk and behave, and they seemed very demure yet a little haughty at the same time. The very small children were off in their own little worlds, kicking off their shoes, sitting on the ground, running away from their parents and shrieking with delight at their little game. Many were fascinated by the gravel at the shrine, and stooped to pick up handfuls of it from the ground with ever-despairing mums trying to prevent them, yet as soon as their backs were turned the kids were at it again.

We stayed for a very long time, observing the way all the families gather in a line and wait their turn to receive the blessing and the candy for the children. I took pictures of the scenery around me as well as the kids as it was such a gorgeous day. We then walked around the spacious garden at a leisurely pace, admiring the greenery, the lakes and the Chinese-inspired bridge. Two girls (I\'m guessing sisters who were 7 and 5 years old) were walking around with their father, who was organizing classy shots of them in the nearly-deserted garden. I managed to get a shot through leaves of one of them standing by the lake. I deliberately focused on the leaves, so the girl is a blurry image of red kimono and black hair in the background, which almost makes it look like a sneaky shot taken through the rain. I like this picture as she looks alone in a sea of green.
Leaving the shrine, we walked about 30 minutes to central Kyoto. It' s not really a pretty walk as it's along the main road, but it can still yield photo opportunities and some great people shots! There are also trees en route to try to avoid the complete urbanisation of the area. As we walked we saw a great number of police officers, and then we saw cordoned off areas of some streets. Junko stopped to ask for directions of a younger looking officer, and he told us it was due to the arrival of President Bush in Kyoto that they were preparing a high level of security. Once we were in central Kyoto we went to a restaurant and had a hearty meal as we were ravenous after walking around for the better half of the day.

Tags: Culture

 

About soemmia


Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.