Existing Member?

The Forging Ear

Up, up and Hue we go!

VIETNAM | Saturday, 20 May 2006 | Views [878] | Comments [4]

Sailing down narrow tree-lined streets on the back of a Honda Dream Motorcycle. Through small villages, high-fiving the local kids, we made our way from the city of Hue out into the unvanquishable Vietnamese countryside. A kingdom of rice fields and ancestor worship. Over moss rivers, past countless grey walls we forgot our destination and lost ourselves in motion and wind. Lurid temples dedicated to past generations dot the mottled green landscape, reverent to the ancient architects who sowed these fields in years past. These arable fields are eternal, like the blood of men who have proudly harvested rice there for generations.

      Met  a fortune teller on an old wooden covered bridge. Everything about her was sanguine; her robes, her nails, her sandals and even her auspicious prediction. Three children; one girl, two boys. Rich at Thirty. Long ears mean long life. Three old men idled in the shade of the bridge nearby, all in white, all faintly resembling paintings of Ho Chi Minh with his long stringy white beard. Men decaying gracefully like Vietnam herself. Sovereign to their own destinies. Everyone in this small village escapes the oppresive heat in the cool bridge and awaits the rice harvest festival in two weeks. This year ten countries will participate, big news in this humble town.

    The grand tombs of past emperors hide in the vast foliage of this countryside. They sit, crooked and grey, frozen in the act of resurrecting themselves. Wind, rain and age decorate the pale walls like mad expressionist paintings. These labrynthine crypts, circumscribed by shallow lotus ponds, are being awakened by tourism and reconstruction after years of war and neglect. Emperor Thu Duc, a man who valued peace and quiet above all else, ensured his privacy by ordering the beheading of all the two hundred skilled workers who built his magnificent tomb. Although he now sleeps to the footsteps of running shoes and sandals he must be happy, for his country survived history after all.

    Surrounded by crumbling citadel walls, a field of mimosa grow where the emperor's palace once stood. The shy flower closes when touched and only opens its modest leaves to the sun when left alone. A flower, much like a nation. Man's narcissism, a senseless need to own grass and dirt, ignorantly expressed with fire and blood, destroyed the masterful  monument that once stood on that very field less than a half a century ago. At night, in darkness, the mimosa whisper and giggle nervously among themselves about human folly. In the day, in the trees that line the shadowy cool streets of Hue, brazen cicadas laugh drunkenly  in bellowing baritones. This is the sound of heat and history and Hue.

Brandon

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

Fabulous description Naomi! It gives me a real sense of time and place. Glad you two are flying free with Vietnam's experiences...and sharing. Take care...had to add the mom bit.

  Mom Hocura May 21, 2006 3:46 PM

2

Sorry about the author mix-up.I guess you two write alike afterall. Two great writers in the family! No wonder you'll be rich by 30.Don't forget your mom when it happens. Ha Ha.

  Mom H. May 22, 2006 4:14 PM

3

hiya,
thanks for the lovely prezzie! you'll be pleased to hear that the peking opera shows we perform for passers-by from our living room window are starting to gain real traction...apparently the time was right.
have a great reunion with p+j and the botanist...
love, nitasha and dan

  nitasha and dan May 23, 2006 11:05 PM

4

great descriptions... I remember Hue for the history you describe and some amazing Vietnamese spring rolls that had me go back to the same cafe again and again. My travel memories are often dictated by my stomach ;-)

BTW, this is the feature story on Adventures homepage this week - http://adventures.worldnomads.com/

  crustyadventures May 24, 2006 12:07 PM

About smelt_and_gizzard


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.