Existing Member?

The Forging Ear

Pai in the sky

THAILAND | Friday, 30 June 2006 | Views [759] | Comments [1]

The chaotic, yet blissfully exciting days of visiting with friends and family are over and we are finally catching up on our journal entries and reading. Some of you may have worried about our long silence--but we're back, alive and well-fed. After hanging around Chiang Mai a little too long, we finally ventured north to Pai, a small town in the hills, full of river-side bungalows and hippie cafes. This is where all of the japanese hippies get their ethnic-chic groove on. It's filled with ex-pats come to fulfill their dream of having an organic tea farm, write poetry and just live a good life. We first heard about Pai when it was featured as the setting in a Thai romantic comedy we saw at the airport plaza (yes jessica--we finally broke down and went!). Then, the manager at the guesthouse recommended it and the next morning we were on the bus to our little bungalow in the sky. We have been motoring around the country-side and playing chess by day, and when the sun goes down we head to the bar to get our fix of herbal whisky, health or energy depending on our moods. We planned to head back to Chiang Mai tomorrow, but we caught wind of an Isan (north-eastern thai province) food and music party going down tomorrow night... We can't say no folk-music. That leaves us just enough time to get back to Chiang Mai to pick up our India visas, some antique bells from Myanmar at the night market, and hop on the night train to Bangkok. We'll have a day in Bangkok, then we fly to Delhi on the 3rd. We'll miss the panang curry but we'll just have to find solace in the thought that their are plenty of Indian culinary adventures to come. Goodbye Thailand!

Naomi

Tags: Relaxation

Comments

1

Don't need it thanks! How random...

  smelt_and_gizzard Jul 2, 2006 4:08 PM

About smelt_and_gizzard


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.