Existing Member?

The Perennial Adventure Some journeys come to an end. Lucky I am already planning my next little adventure ... where to next?

Staying Wanaka, Skiing Treble Cone

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 20 August 2009 | Views [1274]

View across Lake Wanaka

View across Lake Wanaka

Every time I go to Wanaka in New Zealand's South Island, I am awe struck by the view. I can watch the snow-capped mountains spilling into the lake for hours and wont get bored. 

I prefer Wanaka over Queenstown - it's quieter, smaller, the scenery just as spectacular, and the best ski fields in the country, in my opinion, are just down the road.

Treble Cone is my kind mountain. It's only got 2 lifts (well 3 if you count the little beginner lift at the base) but don't be fooled - it's steep, (sometimes) deep, and has a fall line that just keeps going to rival some of the best resorts in North America.

This is the 3rd trip to Wanaka and Treble Cone I have done. Each time, I go to meet the crew from YES Tours - a group of awesome instructors from Whistler, Canada. It's the best ski holiday: catching up with old friends, skiing with some of the best ski coaches and enjoying evey moment.

It reminds me how much I love to ski and makes me wonder why I ever gave up a chair lift for an office.

Tags: new zealand, skiing, treble cone, wanaka, yes tours.

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.