Existing Member?

Postcards from the Parents.. Time together- museums, culture and food!

Yinchuan Day 3

CHINA | Friday, 26 October 2012 | Views [529] | Comments [1]

Another lovely night’s sleep and leisurely morning, though many frustrating technical moments for me trying to upload photos and stories- meaning that I left my camera behind today as photos were still loading. I instead spent the morning in charge of Beth’s big camera- not sure I did it any justice however.

 

We caught the bus into the centre of town, bought some fruit for our morning hosts and then caught the local bus (more like a minivan) to visit Ben & Beth’s home helper in her home. It was a first for everyone and such a wonderful chance to see life outside the city itself. We pulled up outside a traditional flat house, across the road from the oil refinery. So amazing to see a glimpse into real life for so many people in the world.

 

We were welcomed by the extended family and then into her home where she had prepared piles of noodle dumplings (jiaozi), prepared and cooked freshly for us as we sat. We loved getting to watch her prepare them, together with her mother-in-law and trying to gain some insight into their way of life. More and more dumplings were made, and we found ourselves treading the line between eating enough to please our hosts but not so many that they would keep making them. Luckily one of their friends popped over and ate a whole stack or we might still be there! Just an amazing chance to be humble and be served by those who have so little in relation to us.

 

It was local market day, so we caught the local bus further up the road to see a more rural open air market in action. Another chance to experience something that most people would never get to see- everything that you can imagine was there. Fruit, vegetables, chickens-alive and not, sheep, baked goods, nuts, spices, an open air dentist, butchers, beggars and washing machines. We once again caused a stir by being the only white faces some people had ever seen. Understandably it becomes wearing when that’s your every day experience but it still holds novelty value for us.

Back to the apartment for an afternoon of caring for Adah, popping out to pick up train tickets, more tea and long chats, buying vegetables for dinner and reflecting on the day.

 

Beth’s home helper and I had a try at bridging the language gap together while we were here together with Adah- to my shame her English was much better than my Chinese attempts and she wrote me a question about my family.

 

Waiting for Ben to get back, more chatting and Beth coming to my rescue on the technical dramas rounded off an amazing day.

 

  

 

 

 

Comments

1

Love reading about your adventures! The food sounds so amazing!

  M&D Oct 26, 2012 7:57 AM

About sjgordo22


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.