Existing Member?

Postcards from the Parents.. Time together- museums, culture and food!

Yinchuan Day 1

CHINA | Friday, 26 October 2012 | Views [342]

The train trip was much more comfortable than we expected, though we did tread a fine line between dehydration and not wanting to use the toilets too much. We got some sleep on reasonably clean and comfortable beds with the only disturbance to our slumber the smoky haze of the compartment and the man in our set of 6 beds who settled in and snored continuously from 8.30pm. He was however up bright and early at 5am- talking loudly and organising his luggage and companion until they disappeared. We’re not sure exactly where as the train made no stops.

 

We loved sitting up at the little table at the window and watching the sunrise over the vastness of the Chinese countryside. We saw huge expanses of arid land, huge expanse of nothing but power poles, traditional houses, crops laid out neatly and being harvested, piles of corn drying on the rooftops and people walking in the middle of nowhere.

 

Suddenly the big modern station of Yinchuan loomed and we were off and surging towards the exit with everyone else. We successfully met Beth and Adah and then back in a taxi to their home. It’s such a big city (though not compared to Beijing of course) but has the feel of a large country town with wide streets and a rural feel in the side of the road markets.

 

We had a luxurious shower, breakfast and coffee once at Ben and Beth’s lovely apartment. It was so good to breathe fresh air and be out of our smoke filled clothes. Even though we’d spent the last 2 days together we still managed to spend all morning chatting. Such a luxury to do this uninterrupted, (well only by Adah at least who is a delightful interruption).

 

We met their lovely house helper, who kindly washed our smoky clothes, mopped around us and generally made us feel lazy. Beth has arranged for us all to visit her home on Thursday, which is a great privilege and amazing opportunity.

 

Down the internal road in their complex so that Beth could attend an iPlay meeting. It is so well set up- filled with colours and toys and willing helpers. We babysat as best we could so that they could meet and enjoyed trying out the facilities with the kids.

 

Back to the apartment for even more tea and conversation before heading out to the markets to buy vegetables for dinner and to see where to catch the local bus for our Thursday visit. The markets are just everything you could imagine an outdoor food market to be- noisy, busy, bustling. Adah causes a stir wherever she goes and Beth patiently answers questions about her and turns down requests from strangers to hold her. We managed to buy our vegetables and eggs without incident, and headed back to cook dinner for ourselves and the friends who were invited for dinner.

 

Lovely dinner and conversation and playing with the kids (including a little Ethan which of course made me happy) and then absolutely crashed into our lovely beds.

About sjgordo22


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.