Existing Member?

Postcards from the Parents.. Time together- museums, culture and food!

A night and a day in Beijing

CHINA | Monday, 22 October 2012 | Views [529] | Comments [1]

The China adventure has started! We had another great flight from Singapore to Beijing with delicious dinner, a glass of wine and a reassuring American pilot. The airport was enormous with a soaring, dome shaped ceiling. It was very quiet that late at night and we got through very quickly. It's so huge that you have to catch a train to the baggage area. Luckily there were many signs urging us to 'Relax: Train comes every 3 minutes.' We obediently obeyed.

After an excellent negotiation by Belinda over the taxi we were off into the streets of Beijintoand into the night. Soon it became apparent that said taxidriver had no  idea where ourhotel was at all. He had excellent attention to the road: driving, calling on his mobile and repeatedly reading our hotel address.Adventure was afoot!

Luckily Andrew's tutorial on changing a sim card had been retained- I did an excellent changeover of my phone in the back of the speeding taxi and called Beth. A combination of Beth's over the phone directions to the driver and directions from another hotel we pulled in to, got us safely to our destination- The Ascott Beijing. We were soon to see that it was the most luxurious, most 'go out of their way to be helpful' place that I have ever stayed.

Oh and also that taxi drivers almost never know where the destination is as Beijing is the most enormous city imaginable!

Tags: beijing

 

Comments

1

Presume you reached the hotel!

  M&D Oct 22, 2012 11:24 PM

About sjgordo22


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.