Existing Member?

Steve & Helen's Great Escape

Final bits of NZ ...

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 9 June 2011 | Views [181]

Well we have come to an end of the Nz adventure - well not too much adventure as we did not chuck ourselves out of a plane, off a bridge with a bit of elastic attached to us or go rafting. About as exciting as it got was the Shot over river boat closely followed by my hole in one in the mini golf (where I lead going into the Australian leg 2-0 - come on!). Our last few nights were spent saying good bye to Queenstown, not that I am going to miss it that much - although I managed to not spend a silly amount of money and we both survived the cold, although we were aided by an additional water bottle purchase. We trucked up to the Glacier's, there are two that get trampled on by tourists every day, Fox and Franz Joseph. What had the potential to be a stuning drive was ruined somewhat by our new friend, Mr Rain, who did not seem to want to go away, so much so that the last thing we wanted to do was to head up on one of those day long walk whilst getting tipped on, so we decided to just walk there and get equally tipped on in just half an hour. We stayed in Franz Joseph over night, and we thought we would treat ourselves in the morning to a spot of breakie, something which was a big mistake. Our food was obviously late, but actually was okay, however it was briliant watching the two waitresses screaming at each other, whilst one decided to throw some water all over the floor (who knows why!) and then they decided to no clean any of the tables. It was pretty disgusting but actually quite funny as the place cleared out and plates were just left lying everywhere. Anyway it is one of those "you have to be there"moment. After that and the mandatory purchase of a fridge magnet, of which we are getting a good collection going, and a cookie time cookie for the journey we headed up to Greymouth. Now Greymouth is a pretty boring town, although for some reason it is home to the Monteath's brewing company, and you have guessed it we had our arms twisted to go on another tour. This was another good one and set up quite a drunken evening, which ended with Helen Skyping her parents (dangerous), me cooking the dinner (even more dangerous) and talking to the locals whilst watching the Sonny Bill Williams fight with me informing them that he was a bit rubbish in the boxing ring (even more dangerous than eating my food). The next day's headache was enoyed on the public holiday for the Queen's Birthday which it seems everyone in the Comonwealth seems to have, except for England of course. The funny observation that we made we as that this day was different for Australia, with this being the following Monday. Why I don't know, and I am sure if I asked the locals they would not know either. Anyway without the aid of google I thought her Birthday was April? (21st maybe?) - I guess she just wants better weather for it! We spent the day heading up to Pancake rocks, which apparently look like pancakes (there was you thinking they looked like prawns) - anyway the pancake likeness I am still trying to work out - and the rest of the day wasspent driving through the beautiful (but probably unappreciated by us as the was the last beauty spot on the radar for us to see) Arthur's pass. Not much really happend on that road except for bumping into a few Kea's, which are Alpine Parrots, which I can only describe as monkies when you go on a safari in England as the birds were all trying to pull off the plastic from the cars and wing screen wipers. We finished the day in a town called Akora, which is around 77km (very precise) from Christ Church. As I pointed out the town was very French, it was liketting one of those Tricolor books from School, everything was just over French! Anyway we found a campsite and checked in for the night where we intended to eat all the food that we had left over and to do any last emailing etc before we flew out. Unfortunately we were invaded by this annoying couple who seem to have popped everywhere, and I mean everywhere - Doubtful sounds, Rotorua thermal spa's etc . Now they were probably quite nice, as Helen tried to convince me, but all their conversations were about them, what they had done and how what they had done the people they were talking to have to do and how they are going to Sydney next and they know everything to do there (I won't swear). All I wished was that I had got hold of one of their credit cards becasue if I did I would have known all the questions to get into her account, date of birth, dogs name, her address etc - do people not have any secrets anymore. Finally, Christchurch, we thought we best drive through, spend some money somewhere to give some support. Shame that we never got to see the City before the Quake, seemed quite nice. The CBD is still closed off, we saw the church from afar that was just in piece's, quite sad really. Anywyay I should get going now - sitting in Oz, in our lovely new heated campervan - thank god, with a sink, a light and a DVD player - Bear Grills tonight I think Steve & Helen NZ - final thought Lovely place, loads of sheep and cows, people all seemed nice and get some heating in the campervan.

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.