Existing Member?

Steve & Helen's Great Escape

NZ - professional campers we are not

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 18 May 2011 | Views [271] | Comments [1]

Picked up the van - all good except for the fact that as I went for the cheapest option we have no power or heating.  Our first night was spent cuddling up to a hot water bottle (thanks Su).  Our first night of camping was spent going to bed at 7pm, which was when all of the Sydney siders were still working (losers I know).  I managed to attack crossword 1&2 of the puzzle book Helen got me, I did not look at the answers once!

Anyway after waking up and having a cold shower as for some reason I have lost the ability to work a shower, we went on a tour to swim with Dolphins.  After looking for themfor about 2 hours, we suddenly found a pod, which was good to see, but sadly we did not get the opportunity to swim with flipper and his pals as they wisely started to hot step it further out to the ocean where it was a tad dangerous for us doggy paddlers to join them.

We have now trucked down to a place called Otorohanga which saw us go through Aucklands rush hour (2 cars),nearly run out of petrol (no bloody petrol stations fora quarter of a tank - well that is what I told Helen!) and then we promtly got lost in Hamilton due to there being a lack of sign posts - honestly I even had a go with the map, got stressed and then asked a useful person in a petrol station (makes a change).

Anyway plan tomorrow is to go to the gym, yes gym, and then see a kiwi for the first time.   Lets hope they come out to play,

Steve & Helen

Comments

1

Glad to hear the hot water bottle has already come in handy! Enjoy the kiwis. x

  Su May 19, 2011 8:52 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.