Existing Member?

Treks Within Reflection – Pausing in the "Here and Now" Adventures

Pre Machu Picchu Trek

PERU | Friday, 26 December 2008 | Views [337]

Feliz Navidad and Merry Christmas!

Tomorrow morning at 6.00 AM we'll be picked up for our 4-day trek whereupon we'll be transferred by bus to our drop off point. We've been told our first day will be about a 5 or 6 hour hike to our first camping site. And then the infamous 2nd day known for being the most difficult, showers and electricity will greet us on our 3rd day, and then be awoken at 4.00 AM on the 4th day to arrive Machu Picchu by 6.00 AM or so. We're all prepared as we spent most of today renting additional equipment and buying what snacks and etc. we think we need. We're ready and eager!

Last night's celebration with our Host family is one of the most unique Christmas experiences we've ever had! It was absolutely amazing! On Christmas Eve Day, the main square is filled with booths selling various items both for the locals' use as well as gifts and etc. for tourists. We shopped until we dropped! Then we met our Peru Family for lunch (Chinese Food in a Peruvian style)as we wanted to begift them something before we leave. Following lunch, we shopped a bit more and then returned to our Family. At midnight, the true celebration began first with an incredible fireworks show all over the city as everyone buys a bazillion fireworks as part of the traditional celebration. We had a first rate view from our Family's balcony joined by their gracious and friendly neighbors. We then returned inside and the traditional hot chocolate,Panetone (like fruitcake, and Champagne was served with great delight and fervor. And then we danced with the family until 2.00 AM! It was a grand celebration indeed!

Today we took care of our trek preparations and then joined the Family and extended family members for a fantastic and special menu dinner (lunch) and before we knew it, our day was nearly over with plans to go to bed early (which most likely won't happen).

So, as we're on our way to a "dream come true" trek and camino, it will be 4 or 5 days before I can log on again, but will try to do so as soon as possible in Aquas Callientes. If not, we'll return to Cuzco on New Year's Day and will stop by a Internet Cafe to catch up with you all.

I'll close for now with another special Namaste moment wishing you all Love, Peace, Joy, and the essence of Beauty seen through your eyes wherever you are!

Blessings Always! Adios for now...

About sisocrates_musing


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.