Existing Member?

Nomadic Hands

ON MY WAY TO ECUADOR FROM LIMA....AGAIN

PERU | Thursday, 21 August 2008 | Views [938]

Victor and I

Victor and I

Well.. apart from the boring stuff like getting a new passport and visa stamp, and creating new travel arrangements, I actually had a pretty nice time in Lima again. I stayed with a couchsurfing host named Victor and his family. All of them were so friendly and helped me immensely during my stay. I was offered Victors sister´s room and some of her warm clothes (as I had given all of mine away, ready for nice hot Ecuador), and I can´t count how many times they made delicious meals that I was always invited to eat. My only offering was a meal that I cooked... and in the process making an absolute mess of the kitchen!!

 

Victor and his mother came with me on countless occasions to buy things that I really needed that were robbed from me, even a towel, and Victor also helped me get by bus ticket to Ecuador. Poor Victor even waited around for hours while I bargained my hardest for another camera, as they are quite expensive here... more than in Australia. His mother was kind enough to help me get my emergency passport on the first day that I could apply for one. It surprisingly only took one day to get! 

 

I have only just missed Jerome, who is making his way to Lima before continuing his trip south. He has also arranged to stay with Victor and his family, so I have left my second-hand novel (that helped me take my mind off the robbery for a short while) with him as part of his birthday present. It´s more of a joke though as it´s a bit of a girly book!! I even wrapped it in one of my passport renewal forms that I don´t need.

 

I also managed to say hello to a friend of mine Paolo, who I had met in Canada in the ski fields three years ago. He works at one of the biggest clubs in Lima, and granted Victor and I free entry one night (even though we only stayed for about an hour due to tiredness). Just after I got my passport, I went to Paolo´s huge house for a nice lunch that his maid prepared. He says that his family are not rich, and yet it was so interesting to see the astronomical amount of difference between the life that he lives and the lives of those who live in Pamplona. He showed me a movie that has sure inspired me with the style of documentary that I want to create, and also offered to get me in touch with a musician who is his good friend. He said should be happy to help out with any music I need for any of my work, which i´m sure will be a great help.

 

I also made contact with Carmen Gomez again, and unfortunately she is not doing so well as she may need an ankle operation. When a specific date is set, we will hopefully have a few experts on board to create a well made, short documentary about Pamplona and the people that live there. I want the more fortunate people to be able to feel some sort of emotional tie with this place, as the people living there so desperately need all the help they can get.

 

Well i´m on my way to Ecuador again... this time by bus, not boat. My passport will be stuck to my body 24/7!! 

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.