Existing Member?

Nomadic Hands

DAMN THEIF!!

PERU | Sunday, 17 August 2008 | Views [1069] | Comments [1]

Christian, Ligia, her mother and father and Jerome and I. A phtoI had saved on their compùter before the robbery.

Christian, Ligia, her mother and father and Jerome and I. A phtoI had saved on their compùter before the robbery.

As I sat at the dinner table with Ligia and Christian, waiting for the dinner they had so kindly offered to cook, my emotions were a whirl... stabilizing, numbing, and then whirling once again. A mass of tears swarmed from my eyes the other night when I was robbed of all my belongings including my cameras and passport. I was waiting on the boat, which was ready to leave Iquitos for the Ecuadorian Amazon.

I have spent my time since, at the police station getting a statement and organising a flight back to Lima to get a new passport... canceling credit and bank cards, and doing all of the official paperwork that needs to be done ASAP.

During the waiting process, I have partially drowned my sorrows by reading a book that is so far from the reality of what has happened. I have feel helpless to the fact that my timing for the project must slow down, and that my money will drastically reduce because I need to buy a new camera and pay for another passport. I am also missing my friend Jerome dearly... especially as it was his birthday yesterday.

And although at times I feel sick when I allow myself to remember the emotions I held of anger and sadness just after the robbery, I snap my thoughts immediately back to how lucky I am to have my health and my life. Just last night I had a dream I was kidnapped... how relieving to know that I have not been. It is only money and time I have lost, unlike many young girls here in Iquitos who have been raped by their own fathers... taking perhaps their innocence and sanity. My grief is nothing compared to theirs.

The kindness I have received from Ligia and her boyfriend Christian (who has been taking me all over the city on his motorbike to get a plane ticket and a police statement), and her family (who have once again taken me into their home), has been a healing process in itself. Even their adorable puppy has lifted my spirits. Things can only get better from here... well I sure hope so anyway.

Comments

1

Noooooooo! We feel so extremely sorry for you, loosing all your belongings. As you say you only lost time and money but damn you must feel pretty shitty. Keep up the good spirit and your work, it´s great what you´re doing!

Love and besitos,

Meindert and Ana (Otra Cosa)

  Ana and Meindert Aug 20, 2008 10:58 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.