Existing Member?

To India with Love

Hugh Who?

INDIA | Thursday, 31 July 2008 | Views [1398] | Comments [14]

Looking for a two bedroom furnished apartment in Delhi? Here are a few ideas for you. Stay in a hotel is the best bet! No seriously, there are some fantastic places to stay if you have a big budget. If you can come up with around a  thousand US a week you will be in the pink. Every hundred you come down from there - curiously it falls incrementally that way -  so it gets a little closer to being in the grey, shall we say. You will still do okay down to about $500. That's if you are staying out of season and you get a good searching man. In season and you are looking at even more spondoolies

I have met the ultimate apartment hunting soldier. His name is Pradeep and he is a kind of deity in my eyes. He will find the right apartment and then get you a really good deal. I'm not giving his details away easily. He's mine. I found him. Get your own. Plus, he's too busy.  You have to be careful too. Once one of these soldiers have found you a place, some demand as much as one months commission. You have to sort that out before you start.

The best areas are Greater Kailash (GK)1 and Vasant Vihar and lots of the areas that are around these landmark colonies cum precincts. If you look at a map go south of Connaught Place from around 4 o'clock to 8 o'clock. Great markets and very easy going people and good food and places to hang out. It is close to get to a lot of the interesting places around Delhi from here too. 

Now as you zone in on a place you have to get used to the address system. There is a kind of formula to the house  lettering and numbering it's just that no one has bothered to work it out. So GK enclave B57 would be near A sector numbers yes? No. B is near N which backs onto  W. S is near A, and C is over near E - unless you mean GK 1 but not GK 1 enclave.

 D? 

 'Yes there is.'

 Where?

 'Doosra' - (another one.) 

Another one? 

'Hai' (yes) 

Where another one?

 'Over past M market.'

 What near Archana arcade?

 'No.' 

Right. I'm getting the hang of it.

Some many days and dozens of apartments later - from GK to Safrajung to Hauz Kaus to Green Park to Vasant Vihar and more. I landed two great deals and lost them again. Then I landed another one. If I wake up remembering where it is chances are I can have it. Yours for just a lot more than you can afford.  But hey. What a week. Ha! Ha! Come on sir, great place this GK, hai. Of course, your right. Beats a hotel any day.

So to ensconce and wait for Saturday's court ballet. Spoke to big boss man lawyer tonight, his name is Kailash co-incidentally, (I'll call him greater if we do okay) and he has given me some faith to fill the loose sails. I can feel the breeze picking up a little. The ship is creaking back to life. I have eaten close to a kilo of indian sweets in the last two days, but hey, I'm sober and I can nearly spell hughmer again. God love you all for good wishes and thoughts and prayers. And you can pick your own god or saint or so forth. Neelu quite likes Shiva today. Krishna seems to be a little off colour at the moment. Me, I'll pray to Joseph. He had a bit of fun and got stuck with the baby. 

Tags: apartments, delhi, gods

Comments

1

Will be there with you all on saturday not in body but certainly in our thoughts and prayers.The indian sweets sound great, the trying to get a place i,ll leave that for my husband when our time comes love to you all sarah

  Sarah, Chris and Family Jul 31, 2008 8:13 AM

2

We will be thinking of you all. Heading to Mackay with Jeanie to see the great grand son so will pray that as we are surrounded by extended family on Saturday, your family will be extended on that day.

Much love,

mon and family xxx

  monica sidhu Jul 31, 2008 4:11 PM

3

Here is a special message for Neelu as dictated by Lauren.
Dear Neelu,
I found your pencil. We put it on Miss H's desk for when you get back.
I hope you have a good time getting your baby sister.
I love you!
Love Lauren. xxxxoooooo

  Lauren Howes Jul 31, 2008 6:13 PM

4

i forgot to ask. is neelu ok? nana said she had a fever and was quite anxious. i hope she is feeling better.
xx

  tash Jul 31, 2008 6:21 PM

5

Ok, so it took me a while to find the journal.
What the hell!!!
Was stressed before with the move, but now I will seriously not sleep. You have to bring Ankita back soon. I've put aside so many clothes for her!
Super positive thoughts for Saturday guys.
Really missing you all. All our love XXX

  Phoeb Jul 31, 2008 10:52 PM

6

Big brothers don't cry, but this one has been doing some weeping. Hope all goes very well on Saturday.
Overland Cr Sid's look forward to welcoming Ankita into the family.
You are all in our thoughts. Love from all of us to all of you.
Brendan, the first wife & family xxx

  Brendan Sidhu Aug 1, 2008 10:24 AM

7

Enjoyed a couple of quiet ones with 2 Sids last night and Brendan passed on the link. Good to see he has recovered from a very determained effort. I have read a few of the more recent journals to catch up on events. My advice is to keep strong, keep taliking and try not to run out of scotch again. You seem to have a stong group of friends, potential rogues, gods, demi gods and Gods on your team. I'm counting many steps on the way to the High Court: My wish for you is that you float dowm.
Michael,Marina and the Red Mud Mob

  Michael Pater Aug 1, 2008 2:22 PM

8

I can't wait to hear that those sail are billowing with sighs of relief and that you're sailing on tears of joy. Thinking of you all my darlings and sending you and Kailash love, luck and justice for tomorrow x x

  George Aug 1, 2008 2:28 PM

9

We are sending many, many positive thoughts and are confident we will all be smiling tomorrow. If wishing made it so ..

LOL Lyn

  Lyn and the Burdle Aug 1, 2008 6:50 PM

10

you guys are doing such a fantastic job....we are all sending lots of sunny thoughts and positive vibes your way for Saturday - hang in there Love us x

  tess ro tom maddy Aug 1, 2008 8:27 PM

11

Oh it's Saturday! We have been thinking about you. May Kali, Shiva Vishnu and all the others smile on you - NOW

  Nyema Jon & Rose Aug 2, 2008 2:19 PM

12

It's Saturday - thinking of you all. The Denmark spirit is 'blowing' (literally!) your way! Love, thoughts and prayers always. (Jaime & Kael are ok.) Shannon sends all her love and wondering how big Neelu is going to be when she sees her next. Next Sunday will be with Dad and Bren and family - can't wait. We love you heaps. xxx

  Ranee Aug 2, 2008 4:28 PM

13

Saturday!!!!! All little and big things crossed and ready. Really hope you found Vicks for Neelu and more whiskey for your bar. Love, Elisabeth, Andy, Emily, Tone-Tone and Rex. xxxx woof

  elisabeth Aug 2, 2008 5:41 PM

14

It's almost 10pm now here,so you should have been to court. Please god be calling soon to say the judge saw the light and granted your adoption. This is all too cruel to make a child stay in an orphanage because of red tape and personal issues about how many children you have. How can they not understand that you are offering the opportunity of a loving family, extended family and friendship network?

Are you looking for an apartment because it will be cheaper than a hotel, or just to have the comfort and space and facilities to do whatever you like?

Thanks for taking the time to call Tash for her 18th. She was excited because we had thought you would be so anxious about going back to court today that you would not even remember. Had a lovely afternoon on the golf club balcony for Tash's birthday lunch, with Bentley over as well. Very quiet without the little girls!!Ankita's wouldbe Nana is wishing for some plain talkin' account of what is happening. Or maybe Neelu could send her a little message?

Hoping to see all 4 of you on 11th, love and hugs to you from us,
Deb, Frank, Adam and Tash

  Deb Aug 2, 2008 10:00 PM

About sidhus_on_safari


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.