Existing Member?

Leaving On a Jet Plane Restore Factory Settings

The Darjeeling Ltd...

INDIA | Wednesday, 6 May 2009 | Views [599]

Yes, where the Tea comes from....


The Hill station of Darjeeling is really a beautiful town with such a strange mixture of cultures... With the Main population being Gorkas who still want an autonomous Gorkaland.  Its still Legally part of West Bengal, and has also a strong connection with the British Raj historically also.   This aside, it really is a lovely town and the people about as friendly as possible.  There is really quite allot to do in such a small town but really the main thing is to relax in a nice tea room, overlooking the plantations and having Tea and Cakes..

So anyway, we joined some other travelers on the Jeep ride up from the train station.  Eric, Raquel and Sara aka Belgini.. We made friends on the Journey and we got to Darjeeling just as the heavens opened.. such an impressive storm, we took refuge and had some lunch in a hotel/restaurant and took the time and found a room and Taxi to take us up the hill..The Hotel Aliment was great. with a lovely restaurant on the roof, to while away an evening.

the next day we caught the train down the valley.. One of the only steam trains still running in India, it is a local Heritage site and its really quite cute too.. Rhys may like it also me thinks... Thomas... Anyway, we walked back up the valley, stopping for Chai and Mo mo's, and stopping into a Monetary, only to witness the monks playing 5 a side.. Brilliant.. One for u-tube there i think.  (sacrilegious, Moi?).  And obviously, Back into town for more Tea and Cakes.. And then to the Bar to watch a Gorka pub band.. Brilliant..

Well it is called a hill station, and this was quite true.   Bringing us onto the other  favorite pastime in Darjeeling.. Trekking.. We all really wanted to do a trek, so we all decided to trek together so we could do it without a company, and just go to the mountains and hire a guide directly.. Once we had all bought coats and the best fleece in the history of the world and got 2 more recruits for the mission (Sarah Dillon and Rebekah) we got up at the crack of Dawn, got a Jeep to take us to the starting village and got ourselves a guide..

Just A Little Bit Up...

So for 2 whole days we walked up the Himalayan mountains, Through the mist and fog (thankfully the rain had abated for the time we trekked, or possibly was below us) but what amazing place.  The 1st day we walked into Nepal, over the border and we slept at a farm house at about 2800m.. We had all walked so much so we had some lovely food and some Millet Beer to get our strength back.. We chatted and played cards and listened to music and ate food.. It also happened to be Nepali New year so Rakesh (our Guide) and his Cousin, Rhumba (who was an Israeli couples guide) were celebrating too, drinking Rhododendron wine and singing songs..  So the best thing to do was to put a bit of ToTo on the i-pod and we all sang along to Africa.. Carlseburg don't do treks... But if they did...

The next day we Awoke at Dawn and got up to a clear sky (it had been cloudy all the day before) Well we were now above the clouds.  and we had the clearest view of Mt Everest (8,850m) and Mt Kangchenjunga (8,586m), 2 of the 3 tallest mountains in the world.  Breathtaking, really.
Day 2 consisted of a little more up.. for about 20 km.. hard but again worth it in the end.. Especially the Meat Loaf rendition at approx 3500m),  Some of the Guys were out of steam, so a party was sent ahead to get digs and dinner ready.. and after more Chai, beers, food and Whiskey and music.. it was time again for Bed.. it was so cold we had to spoon for warmth..

The next day was an even more spectacular view of the mountains from a dizzy height of 3636m.. we had walked along way, and mostly steep inclines... So what comes up, must go down.. down .. Down and out..
So The way down was almost as hard of the Uphills.. the Views were amazing though and spirits were pretty good (well holding up at least) and it was good to be alive, albeit in pain of walking, blisters, and other assorted ailments..
That night, as we came down we ate, drank and were merry again.. and we rested..  Belgini went for a morning swim in the river.. everyone else opted for the Bucket shower..

The next Day, Rested and triumphant we made haste back to Darjeeling to recuperate and plan The next Trek.. We had the wind in our sails now and we wanted to check more of the beautiful countryside and villages out.. But time for R&R 1st..

That night we went to the English Bar in Town for Sausages and Mash.. (well sometimes you just miss some things..) Watched a bit of Liverpool on TV, and we drank and Drank and were very Merry indeed.. Then lots of Sleep and Tea for a Day or two.

Almost forgot too about the Velocoraptors.. Claudia, Sarah Dillon, Eric and I all went to the Zoo the next day, and saw the Tigers, Bears, Birds and The empty raptor cage (minus the elusive dinosaur i am at pains to add), which was good fun, even though you always regret going to Zoo's when you get there..
Also there however and what i found really quite good was the Everest Museum.. Complete with Signed Photo's of Chris Bonnington.. Who is always in Keswick and Sheffield.. and info on The Local Hero (including his grave) Sherpa Tenzing Norgay who was with Edmund Hillary as the 1st to Climb The  Giant..
But the exhibitions and all the old Gear used in previous attempts was really interesting..

Anyway it was Time to get to Sikkim for another Trek...
After some more Tea of Course..

Tags: tea, treks and tiffin...

 

About si-man


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.