Existing Member?

the road to serendipity

Cambodia 101

CAMBODIA | Wednesday, 5 November 2008 | Views [1382]

I’m no expert on Cambodian life and culture but since I’ve been here for 2 months I feel I should let friends back home know a little more about the country and its quirks.

General

  • Cambodia has one of the most public holidays in the world. They have at least one public holiday every month, and if the holiday falls on a weekend, there is an extra day off on Monday. Plus they also celebrate Chinese AND Khmer New Year, the King’s, King Father’s and King Mother’s birthdays, and international days such as International Women’s Day and International Human Rights Day amongst many other holidays.
  • Public electricity is very expensive here and power cuts are really common. Most businesses and more wealthy households have to resort to private (and more expensive) sources of electricity powered by generators.  
  • There is no developed public transport network in Cambodia. People mostly get around in motos, bicycles, tuk tuks, and the wealthier in cars. Only when traveling between provinces do people use travel buses or shared vans (packed like sardines!!).
  • There isn’t any legal enforcement on the minimum age to ride a moto. You could be 11 and be riding your moto to school, parking free! No problemo.

Lifestyle

  • Khmers dress conservatively. In the punishing heat, it is not surprising to see men and women in long sleeves or even jackets. At the beach, the women take dips in the water fully clothed in their tees and pants. I’ve been getting curious (and sometimes rude) stares from the locals at the beach and was even asked if I was local, which does make me feel conspicuous. This is changing, however, with the younger generation as girls are becoming more “westernized” and dress more liberally.
  • Traditionally, Khmer women do not sit cross-legged when seated on the floor, especially not in the presence of monks or even the male members of the family at home.
  • Local TV stations end their programs about 11pm with a national anthem and video that looks like it was made in the 1960s. And, the last scene in the video shows masked and armed soldiers practicing in combat training (looks a lot like guerilla warfare) and then it cuts abruptly to a blue screen (?!?!). You would think warfare is the last thing they wanna see before they go to bed after all that has happened.
  • It is not uncommon to remove your shoes before entering a house or even some shops.

Food

  • MSG (lots of it) is added to the food here. Apparently it kills the bacteria in the food.
  • Tap water is not fit for consumption.
  • Khmer food is not as spicy as Thai food or bland as Vietnamese food, but somewhere in between the two. They are big on their own versions of coconut curries, soups and stir-fried dishes called lok-lak. You also get lotsa fruit shakes at all eateries and they’re all really thick and yummy from all the coconut milk and condensed milk. I’ve had more shakes than I can count!
  • Due to French legacy, baguette is really common here but they’re only a foot long like those you find in Vietnam, but tastes better. 

About shix


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.