Existing Member?

the road to serendipity

Bamboo Island

CAMBODIA | Thursday, 16 October 2008 | Views [860]

As the centre is closed on Mondays, fellow volunteer Megan and I decided to take a day trip to one of the nearby islands – Bamboo Island. This crescent-shaped island is an hour’s boat trip away from Sihanoukville, and boy was it a world of difference from Serendipity beach!

At Serendipity beach you get no peace at all. Besides having to jostle for a space on the overcrowded beach, you have to bear with the loud music coming from the various beach bars and the many hawkers and beach children peddling bracelets, food/drinks or offering massage services. It is not a pretty sight to see so many beach children trying to eke a living from peddling and picking up soft drink cans – you know they should be in school but most of them cannot afford it.

Bamboo Island urned out to be the total opposite. There’re only 2 restaurants and a few bungalows on either side of the island. There was hardly anyone on the beach (the whole afternoon we were there we probably shared the entire stretch of beach with 6 other sunbathers!) and absolutely no hawkers and beach children. We had all the peace we had set out to find in this day trip – away from all the crowds noise and crazy kids from the centre… Toes sunken into the warm fine sand, sun shining down on my back, hotel costes playing in my ears and book in hand…aaahhhh pure tranquility, pure relaxation.

Pic – from L to R: Megan & I on the boat to the island | We’re here! | Beach hut decked out in shells | Beach bungalows for rent, they’re basic - only bed and mosquito net and no electricity. | Sun, sand and sea! | Totally clear waters | Beach bungalows | Relaxing during lunch | Rainbow!

About shix


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.