Existing Member?

the road to serendipity

a day at FLOW

CAMBODIA | Tuesday, 16 September 2008 | Views [703]

for all my friends who are asking how i am and what i do here, this is a brief outline of my schedule:

745am: wake up, breakfast

830-11am: teach 3 classes of english (right now i have only observed and will start teaching them soon)

1110-1140am: help serve the children their lunch in their dining hall. the scene is right out of a documentary. all the kids seat at the wooden benches, metal food trays laid out on the wooden tables, and the meal is usually a simple fare of a fish/vegetable soup with rice. They gobble down their food and raise their hands for more. 1 finger for more rice, 2 fingers for soup. the children crowded around me and asked where i was from, my name, age, job etc. I was quite amused listening to 2 teenage girls talk about Zac Effron and Brad Pitt being their boyfriends, and they commented that my haircut was like Rihanna. Hah guess the western pop culture has been brought over by the foreign volunteers.

12pm: Lunch

2-4pm / 3-5pm: Teach the kids drawing and reading in the library

630pm: Dinner, followed by more free time where i can join in the classes or use the computer.

after which i return to my room where i'm accompanied by the sounds made by my rotating fan, the tv which only shows programmes dubbed in khmer, and the insects, toads and lizards from the outside (a few annoying ones never fail to come into my room and irritate me with that noise they make. last night i was very unused to the combination of 'noise' and woke up every hour). hopefully this gets better.

 

Tags: flow

About shix


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.