Existing Member?

The traveler: An expected journey This time it's the Scandinavian countries of Denmark, Sweden & Norway before England again for several weeks and on to Croatia.

Pembrokeshire

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 31 August 2015 | Views [256]

Time to celebrate; I'm almost done figuring out where I'm staying for the next month and it's only 7:30 instead of midnight! So now I have a chance to bring you up to date with my travels.

From my WWOOFing in north Wales I traveled a little less than half way around what was once it's own small country to the southwest coast in Pembrokeshire. I never really know what I'm going towards when I leave one place for another. I only have a general idea, and a willingness to see what comes.
It's not often that you meet someone who sees eye to eye on everything with you, but my hostess here was one of them. How lucky it was that I chose to ask her if I could stay. What a joy it was to share ideas on the journey of life. Our conversations carried us through many meals, and many hours. From the trust and willingness to follow not the path we might plan out, but the one that is presented to us to the happiness of living without an attachment to things to the true leaders and teachers of this day our conversations were always engaging.

After a breakfast with toast and organic eggs we drove down to the coast at St. David's. Rather than join the ocean goers in wetsuits we followed the coastal path along the edge of the cliffs with fantastic views of the beaches and coves below while staying back from the tempting edge. As we walked past the early blooming heather we came upon two herds of wild Welsh ponies. How relaxed they looked in the sun, nibbling at the grass! We stopped to watch the waves crashing over the rocks and then slipping away before we returned to the town for lunch.
Being so close to the sea how could I not have something fishy? At a table outside the old pub we both enjoyed a meal of crab salad with potatoes and bread while we watched the Seagull flutter down to the next table to snatch some leftovers before they were cleared away. After we finished our lovely meal with a slice of lime and pistachio cake we made our way down the slightly steep road to St. David's Cathedral.
St. David is known simply as Dewi in Welsh. To the Welsh he was simply one of them; an early (500 AD) Christian, and a very simple man. However St. David's grand cathedral entitled the small town to be named "a city". The inside of the Cathedral rather reminded me of St. George's Capel in Windsor, except here the ceilings were paneled in wood, and delicately painted. Inside a rehearsal for the Welsh Men's Choir concert was taking place and their voices filled the space as we walked around. Apparently they are well known for their incredible voices. How lovely to listen to them!
After a dinner with candles on the table, and of course more conversation, we went for our evening constitutional along, and above the harbor overlooking the lights of the small fishing village of Fishguard. I could just image this village in days gone by.
The warm, sunny weather continued for us the next morning as we walked above the sea once more on a point of land called Dina's head. From there we watched the large ferry slowly heading out across the water towards Ireland. The water was a wonderful variety of blues and greens, which seemed to correspond to the pattern of clouds over head.
For our last meal together we stopped at a cheery cafe where we each ordered a fresh pizza. I decided to go in for something unusual and had the pine nut and squash pizza, which turned out to be very tasty! I took the last 2 pieces with me as we made a quick walk to the car to return in time for my one train out on that Sunday.
As we drove back to collect my things we nervously checked our watches, hoping that we could still make the train on time. I ran in, grabbed my bags, and jumped back in the car. We arrived at the station simply to find a greeting displayed on the notice board, and a clock that showed it was 2 minutes past the train's departure. I'd missed the train.
My next connection was in an hour at a train station farther away. With incredible generosity my hostess told me she would drive me there. It was going to be very tight to make the connection and as we drove checking the time we kept saying "we can still make it". Jumping out as we pulled in I ran onto the platform and thankfully was told which train I needed, but that I had only about 30 seconds to get on it. In rather a mad dash I ran across to it and managed to step on board as the doors were being shut. I was able to wave to my hostess from the window to let her know I'd made it before walking through first class with all my bags to find a seat in standard class where I packed everything away and caught my breath.

 

About shire_girl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.