Existing Member?

A-"Frican" Adventure

Updates

TANZANIA | Monday, 7 July 2008 | Views [231]

This whole blogging thing has clearly been much more difficult than I anticipated. Though I do manage to find ways to access internet here and there, I have been so busy during daylight hours that I have found little time to actually post. That and I seem to have embraced this African way of life and my two favorite sayings here: "hakuna matata" and "be free". So in the name of 'no worries' and 'be free' I have failed to adequately update you (or my personal journal for that matter) on all the amazing, unforgettable, eye-opening and challenging experiences I have had. After one month, I have taught over 60 students and community members of all different ages, gone on one safari (one of the highlights of my lifetime), hiked in some of the most beautiful hills ever to a breathtaking waterfall, stayed overnight in a real Masaai village where I slept in a circular hut on raw hide along with 4 other girls in my bed and goats and cows as well, had a goat slaughtered for me (I am still vegetarian, so my only responsibility was to name it - Destinini - and then wear its skin/fur on my hand), lived in a village with no electricity, I think come down with giardia (no fun at all!), formed incredible relationships with both the other volunteers I am with and the locals, and so much more! Yet, the real excitement feels like it is yet to come. The rest of my time here in Tanzania is packed with activities. I have my last week of teaching this week. It is crazy and bitter sweet for my volunteer time to be ending. At the end of the week, I will become a real tourist :) I will be going on safari to Ngorongoro crater and...dun dun dun...the Serengetti!!! Imagine the Lion King setting mixed with the national geographic channel. The animals are sometimes so close you can touch them. But as Greg and I were taught earlier this year, you cop a feel, and they'll cop a meal. If any of you are worried for my safety, rest assured that there will always be a man with a gun by our sides should there be any threat of being eaten by a wild animal. The following weekend I will find myself on the beautiful beaches of Zanzibar. Need I say more. Upon my return, I will conquer (I hope) the tallest mountain in Africa which I have come to call Kili - short for Kilamanjaro. Thats right. On the last day that I will be 25, I will summit one of the tallest mountains in the world, and come down the mountain on my 26th birthday, a 7 day hike in total. Please wish me luck as it sounds like I will need it ;)

Also, get prepared for an onslaught of pictures upon my return. I have not yet figured out how to post them here, but am eager to share these amazing experiences with you upon my return.

Stay safe and healthy and happy!

Shannon

About shan-na-na-na


Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.