Existing Member?

A-"Frican" Adventure

A quick update

TANZANIA | Tuesday, 15 July 2008 | Views [218] | Comments [3]

Well, my time here has certainly flown by. As hard as it is for me to believe, I have now completed my volunteer service with the Global Service Corps. But my heart for the people here will continue throughout my lifetime. I look forward to the next weeks ahead in which I've either forged other volunteer relationships (e.g. tomorrow I will be volunteering for an organization called Mkombozi that serves street kids, and will be going out on the street with their 'mobile school' to reach/teach kids!), or will connect with friends, or simply be a tourist. 

As stated previously, I went to the Serrengetti and Ngorongoro over the weekend. It was truely amazing! Never before have I seen so many impressive animals, and to see them in their natural environment is nothing short of amazing. I saw a python so large it could swallow a human whole. I saw zebras and girafes so close I could have touched them. I saw a lion and her 4 cubs within 10 feet, and the lion was carrying the prey she caught for the family. That's right, she was carrying the head and remains of a warthog. I would describe Ngorongoro crater as comparable to seeing the grand canyon for the first time. It was incredible and densly packed with animals. I loved the whole experience!!!

Amidst my adventures, I have felt a bit like a medical mystery. I have beared travellers diarhea of some sort, vomiting, rashes all over my body, a protruding stomach from an inflamed stomach because of infection (???), and am hoping the light at the end of the tunnel is close. It has been over 3 weeks of ailments!

Take care,

Shannon

Comments

1

Shan,
I owe u a call and an email reply. Work has simply been insane lately :-( Hopefully I can get a hold of you this weekend.
Dunno much about medicine, but that protruding belly and dermatitis really sounds a whole lot like kwashiorkor...It mainly affects kids mostly due to insufficient protein intake and other key micronutrients...If I'm wrong, I'll just blame it on my 6th grade Health Science teacher, or better yet blame it on my faulty declarative memory. Either way, you better start getting your grub on girl :-), otherwise Kili will be insurmountable in a malnutritioned body.

Cheers,
~E

  eric Jul 26, 2008 10:15 AM

2

I am hoping you are conquering Kili - as you have conquered every other moment in this unbelievable trip. I can't wait for the pictures and news that you are safe and sound. Happy 26th!
Therese

  Therese Aug 13, 2008 12:26 PM

3

Great work Shannon godbless you alot but also you have to keep in mind that;

Personal
Working as a volunteer allows you to discover more about yourself.

You will face new challenges, meet new people and come across new perspectives and ways of doing things that may encourage you to rethink your own world view.
As you develop your strengths and perhaps discover new talents and skills, your self-confidence and ability to work and live independently will increase, and volunteers often come out of their experience with a better idea of whom they are and where they want to go in life.

Positive Action
Volunteering is a way to put your beliefs into action. If there’s a social, political or environmental issue you feel strongly about, there is almost certainly an organization or group with whom you could volunteer and start to make a difference in that area. Through your work you will not only be able to effect positive change but also strengthen your understanding of your field of interest.

Fun! - Volunteering is great fun! It’s an opportunity to work in an area that interests you, surrounded by like-minded people, happy in the knowledge that you are making a difference.

  micatz Dec 9, 2008 5:32 PM

About shan-na-na-na


Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.