Existing Member?

A-"Frican" Adventure

A safe arrival

TANZANIA | Saturday, 31 May 2008 | Views [314] | Comments [2]

After more than 26 hours of traveling, I have finally arrived in Arusha, Tanzania. At first, I was not so sure about what I had gotten myself into. I arrived at a dark hostel, with guard dogs, and several men standing around who did not speak any English. There was a bit of confusion regarding where my room was and if there was space, and when I was taken to my room, alone, in the dark, I just tried to assure myself that it was going to be alright, otherwise Global Service Corps would not have suggested I stay here. Not having a working cell phone or watch, I also had no idea what time it was, but no matter because my body was on an 11 hour time zone difference anyways.

After one day here, I have met several interesting people, but very few white people. I stick out here even more than I was expecting. Walking around town, I learned quickly that I was the only white person in sight, and only one of a handful of females. Even given these discrepancies, I have found the Tanzanian people to be very friendly. One of the most notable experiences so far has been meeting two local men (Gangamala and Hombre) who helped show me around. I have already eaten at a local resaurant, and am crossing my fingers that my stomach will be okay. I have to share a little about the food and eating here. The most common/staple food is Ugali (a white mush made from corn - I think?). So I had this and some green vegetables presented also somewhat mushy on the side of the Ugali. Now, I was provided with a fork and knive, but my companions just dug in with their right hand. Feeling like I needed to embrace the customs here, I took my hand and stuck it right into the mound of mush on the plate in front of me. Essentially, what you do is grab a chunk of the mush, roll it around in your hand until you have formed a ball, and then dip in into sauce or the green vegatables, and stick the whole thing in your mouth. If nothing else, it was a memorable experience.

Here's to more memorable experiences to come!

Shannon

Comments

1

Glad to know you're okay. Thinking of you daily!

  Ann May 31, 2008 2:37 AM

2

Great to hear you arrived and are already beginning to get comfortable with the discomfort! Look forward to future installments.

  Therese Jun 1, 2008 1:26 PM

About shan-na-na-na


Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.