Existing Member?

A-"Frican" Adventure

Weekend in Arusha, Tanzania

TANZANIA | Tuesday, 3 June 2008 | Views [307] | Comments [3]

Being brand new to this country, this culture, this continent, leaves me feeling like I am a sponge trying to soak up as much as I can in a day. Even though I have only had three full days to explore this town, the experiences I've had exceed what I ever could have imagined possible for a 3 day span. It leaves me feeling a bit unsure of where to start here.

I think most notable would be Sunday. Now, I mentioned Hombre already. He's one of the first people I met here, and from what I can tell, a nice man. He is 25, has lived here all his life, and seems to make money currently by being friedly to tourists and helping to show them around. (This is very common here!) Well, I formed a trust with him. He has taught me a lot about the people here, the customs, the language, etc. He offered to take me up into the hills (where the villages/homes and Maasai huts are) up to a remarkable viewpoint of Arusha town. Going into this area alone as a Mzungo (white person) would not be a safe thing to do but he assured me that with him it would be fine. And feeling curious, brave and ready to explore new things, I said "I'd love to do that!" I asked if it would be possible to bring some of the girls I'd met with me and he said it would be great (that means a higher tip for him), so 8 white girls and Hombre headed up the hill (which we would call a mountain in America, but since it is not Kilamanjaro, it is a hill). This was quite the experience! It is hard to describe what I witnessed in words that portray it all. The dirt road with pot holes everywhere was littered with people. There are men signing shoes and selling all sorts of different products, but primarily clothing, shoes, music, sunglasses, paintings, crafts, etc. The women may be seen walking with baskets of fruit on their head, or sticks for fireword, or buckets of water... the rest of this story is to be continued. I've run out of time. But get prepared for the story of the old, hunchbacked maasai woman who threatened to hit us with a stick, yelling things in her language that none of us Mzungu's could understand.

Comments

1

Shannon!

I'm so glad to hear that you're settling in to your new adventure. Sounds like a fun mini trip you all took and I'm eagerly awaiting the conclusion of the story. In the meantime, keep up the good work of assimilation (as best you can) and know that people (including myself) back home are proud of you for what you are taking on & risking in this adventure.

Be safe and be strong. And keep blogging! :)

Cheers!
Poppa

  Pops Jun 5, 2008 4:23 AM

2

Shanonon
I was so very happy to arrive at the airport in Oklahoma City and turn my phone on, then DING - your safe arrival text appeared! Thanks for teaching me how to text before you left! I'm looking forward to all the stories you will write about now and share with us on your return. I'm immeasurably proud of you for the wonderful good deeds you perform and this unique adventure you have embarked upon. Be safe, make new friends, know that we all love you, and keep writing! I will call this weekend!
Love,
Mom :)

  Mom Jun 6, 2008 12:33 AM

3

Since everyone is being so darned proud of you, I'll add my accolades too. So far you have eaten with your hands, climbed up the mountain and learned how to duck big sticks (I hope!) You are an amazing woman of great integrity and brave adventure, and I look forward to reading more stories soon.

  Michelle W Jun 6, 2008 8:10 AM

About shan-na-na-na


Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.