Existing Member?

Sometimes I even know where I'm going.....but not often Cycling down the Pacific Hwy in the USA

All good things

UNITED STATES OUTLYING ISLANDS | Thursday, 14 July 2011 | Views [457]

The trusty Delinquent Caribou standing proudly at the Mexican border

The trusty Delinquent Caribou standing proudly at the Mexican border

Leaving LA was about as much fun as entering it. 5th of July and the city was distinctly hung over. People wandered around in the late morning haze peering at the world with bleary eyes. The beach as I rode along it on the quiet bike path, was covered in trash. Apparently there was a beach party. Oh darn I missed it.

Big trucks rumbled their way across the sand, sucking up crap and excreting freshly cleaned sand back onto the beach. I cycled swiftly by them trying not to get caught in the resulting sandstorm.

The path left the beach went into the city. Wound around a harbour. Spat me out near a channel and then went back to the ocean for awhile.


Ended up near yet another fisherman's wharf. Like many fisherman's wharf's there was a distinct lack of fishermen. Apparently once a place is gentrified the people that made it interesting aren't allowed to stay there any more.


I ate lunch by the wharf and earned some odd looks because I was leaning against a pot plant peeling a boiled egg.

Something about peeling a boiled egg in public, offends or embarrasses some people. I'm not sure why.

Maybe they think I'll do something with a boiled egg that only unfortunate women in Thailand do with ping pong balls....

…..or maybe they just think I'm going to spread egg shell everywhere. And I only do that in really expensive neighbourhoods.

It gives the gardeners something to do.


Two middle aged men/cyclists stopped to give me advice.

“We've gone to the border.” They told me.

“Uh-huh.” I said feeling completely unimpressed.

“We can tell you the best way to go.”

They plunged into lengthy 'go left' go right lecture. I ate my egg and stared at the ocean and wished they'd go away.

I had a map.

Did they think anyone could retain six thousand directions?


I'd sort hit my limit on taking advice from condescending cycling folk.


Just north of LA, an older spandex boy had drifted by on a two thousand dollar road bike, peered down his nose at my bike and it's load.

I could see him thinking, 'she won't get far with that set up.'

“Where have you come from?” He asked.

“Canada.” I shrugged nonchalantly. The guy looked less smug as he cycled on ahead of me.

Fuckwit.


The two guys eventually left me in peace. I finished lunch and pedalled on.

Two seconds later I'd missed my turn off and caught up with the two cyclists I'd just been studiously ignoring. Who were more than happy to point out where I needed to go.

“I didn't think you were listening.” One said good naturedly.

“I wasn't.” I assured him.

We parted ways laughing.


The afternoon sucked.

I rejoined the highway south. Cars everywhere. Road was a potholed piece of crap. There was no bike lane just a lane that mostly full of parked cars. Suddenly it was maybe thirty five degrees in the shade and raging hot on the tarmac. Traffic lights kept stopping me so I couldn't keep any momentum going.

Everything looked dodgy as hell. Rough. Dirty. Trash everywhere.

It was the type of road that made me question the benefits of civilisation and evolution.


I got so hot and frazzled I had to pull over and cool down. Ended up in a little park sitting near a couple who talked in that slurred and nonsensical rhythm of the truly drug abused. If I had to guess I'd say they'd taken every drug known to man and a few that even Satan hadn't heard of.


I refilled my water bottles and pushed on.


The neighbourhood got more expensive. Prettier. The litter disappeared and I didn't see any more ruined people. Probably because this is where all the people that sold the drugs live. After all you'd have to have a plantation of something to own a house there.

Soon I was cycling along little beach towns like Long Beach and Seal Beach. They moved so seamlessly from one to another that it was impossible to know where I was. Of course there wasn't any signs. Only business signs indicated that I was moving through different locals.


Huntington Beach appeared before me at about half five. I'd cycled fifty uncomfortable miles and was about ready to stop.

I went over to the hostel indicated on my map. Found a deserted building. Looked in the dusty windows and checked the address six times. I was at the right spot.

Curiously I wandered over to the information centre and was told that the hostel had been shut for three years and that there was no other hostel in town. The best I could hope for was a hotel. The cheapest of which would be sixty dollars. If I had thought about it, I would have checked the hostel out online the night before. Alas that type of forward planning has never come easily to me.

It was twenty five miles to the next camp ground.


'Bugger it.” I said to the information woman. “I'll keep going.”

The sun was high in the sky and it would get dark around half eight.

To give myself a fighting chance I went to Subway and inhaled a foot long sandwich. Drank Fanta and took off down the road.


In the way of things, that part of the ride was the best of the day.

The weather cooled off. I hit Orange County as the sun was turning the sky a deep....well orange actually. I shot up and down the moderate hills glimpsing the ritzy little towns with their Mediterranean style from the corner of my eye. Mostly I just cycled. Fast for once.

Cause I had to get off the road before dark.

Somehow I managed to find energy to sing the theme song to The OC. The television show that was based in the area.

“CAAAAAAAAlllllllafoooooooooooooorrrrrrniiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Heeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeee

weeeeeeeeeeeee

coooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeee!” I sang hurtling down a hill and shooting up the other side.


A spandex cyclist flagged me down as I was slogging up yet another middle sized incline.

He hadn't seen any bike tourists in his home area in over a year and wanted to know my story. He'd cycled form San Francisco to San Diego four times and was sick of the traffic. I told him that he needed to cycle in Oregon and north California. South of San Fran the road is much less fun.

He told me I show tour in France.

“France is eleven out of ten.” Said he. “Cycling in the US is not even a one.”

….Interesting.


I carried on.

The sun set.

Praying that my reflective jacket was keeping me mostly visible I rushed through Dona Point and it was just getting to true dark when I pulled up in the campground.

“You look done in.” The ranger commented.

“I feel done in.”


Putting up my tent was hard.

It was the staying awake thing that was the true problem.

Then a bloke appeared nearby and wanted to talk.

I like people. I do. But not after I've just cycled 72.4 miles. [116.5kilometers]

Pretty soon all I could hear was a low droning noise, much like the roar of the highway.

I made inarticulate grunts by way of answers.

It was some time later when I'd just made a sort of general agreement sound when I noticed that the dude was gone.

Gratefully I crawled into my tent. I was asleep before my head hit my sleeping bag stuffed with clothes.


Hot.

Nine months in Canada had made me a stranger to the sensation.

It was the way I woke up the next day.

At dawn.

A part of the day I only know exists because I've heard other people talking about it.

And noticed that my panniers were entirely covered in ants.


Good morning world.

If I could have gotten my mouth to work I would have got out of bed swearing.

As it was I got up making the types of noises a grumpy monkey makes.


The good news was that the ants didn't bite.

They crawled all over everything and got in my hair but at least they didn't bring me out in big red lumps like the Australian ants do.

I knew there was a reason I liked America.


Sometime later I'd gotten the whole ant situation under control. As wiped ants off all my food and shaken out my panniers and repacked everything. Packed up my tent and eaten something. The sun came up and glared down straight into my campsite.


It was far too early to be awake, let alone cycling. But there wasn't anything else to do. I mean I could have gone swimming at the beach. The thought of doing so included pitfalls like unpacking towels and having showers and finding quarters to feed the shower.

And swimming is just such an 'awake' activity.


I did three laps of the campground before I found a way out. Then I spent some time moving very slowly along the bike path.


A middle aged woman on roller blades passed me.


She scooted by me easily and suddenly I was awake.

Groaning and swearing I pushed myself and managed to overtake the rollerblader. Maintaining that lead was embarrassingly painful.

It took hours to wake up.

The day was bright and happy and hot.

Just the type of weather I had been craving so long.

It was good. It was hot. But it was good.


I went by a nuclear power plant. Hoped that long overdue earthquake wouldn't strike while I was cycling by it. It didn't.

Then I entered a park and cycled on an amazing bicycle path for about ten blissful miles. Waving to the road bike cyclists as they shot past me. Then I entered the Marine base.


The Marine base was less exciting than I'd hoped. Ok, so I was passed by a small convoy of army vehicles and watched a bunch of tanks churning along the road next to me. But I didn't have to cycle across a mine field or dodge missiles. Which was slightly disappointing.

I rode by dry scrubby territory, past a small town, by fenced off housing and a school. There was some ankle-biters playing in the yard and they waved furiously as I went by. I waved back.


Other cyclists told me that the base had been closed for four years after September 11. I wondered if the families and kids living on the base had been much affected by the tightened security. Or what it was like growing up in a place like that.


Some miles later I cleared the base. Cities. Towns. Long roads covered in

Then I decided to get food, have lunch in a park and have a sleep for a few hours.

I only had ten miles left to go so that is exactly what I did.

Grass, tree, shade and food. I dropped like a stone and dozed for three hours.


The Elijo state beach was a dusty little bit of land above the ocean. I went swimming.

It. Was. Freaking. Amazing!

White sand. Hot weather. Cold salt water.

The way a beach should be.

I swam around and watched the sunset from the water.

Sheer bliss.


Some people from the east coast have been trying to tell me that sea water is better when it's warm. Like it is in Florida and Cable beach.

I've swum in warm sea water and it is a complete waste of time.

If the air is hot and so is the water so how are you ever going to get cool?


The cyclist sharing the campsite with me bought me a fish burrito. It tasted like chicken.

It was the last day of his trip so we had a celebratory....burrito?

Free food, who's complaining.


I should have really stayed at that campground for another day. I mean I was tired for that huge seventy mile day. It was in my muscles and in my brain. My body wanted to sleep.

The next day, with forty miles to the Mexican border. I pushed on.


Through the pretty outer suburbs of San Diego. Climbed La Jolla hill. It wasn't even that big of a hill. The map said it wasn't even five hundred feet. I'm pretty sure the map was wrong.

That hill was distinctly unfriendly. The sun came down. Hit the road bounced back up at me. The sun hit the limestone cliff on my right, radiated straight at me. I got cooked.


Then I plunged on through busy back roads. Climbed more small hills than I felt was entirely necessary. By one o-clock I'd reached Mission beach and crashed out in a park surrounded by boats.

After an hour I kept going. Only got five more miles when my body told me that any more cycling would be met with extreme opposition.

I found myself draped over a park bench talking soothingly to myself.

“Ok body.” I said gently. “I get it. We won't go to the border today, alright?”

“Too bloody right we won't.” My body informed me.

“We'll just go to the KOA campground ok?” I asked.

“You're pushing it.” My body warned.

“Well where else are we going to stay?” I wanted to know.

“Humph.”

I pulled myself together and pedalled through San Diego.

Distantly I noticed that it was a pretty little city. But I wasn't paying much attention.


Somehow I got to the KOA. Put my tent up and passed out.

Ten miles short of my goal. It rankled but I didn't have the energy to push on in me.


I slept in the next day. Until eleven.

When I had very slowly gotten my gear together, I made my very slow way down to the border.

It was a pretty dull ten miles. Road, traffic. Shops. The border was a concrete, fenced off metal jungle.

Feeling oddly anti-climatic I rode up to the pedestrian crossing and touched the fence.


I didn't cross. Because I didn't want to take the Delinquent Caribou over to Mexican. My bicycle would probably corrupt the place.


[Exert from my journal] 8th of July 2011


'Well I done it! 3,198.2kms or 1987.3miles

THE MEXICAN BORDER

      10.04 shitty miles from the KOA and that was it. I went up right up to the big fence and....like touched it.

And now,

I feel

mostly hungry.

So I am eating an apple.


And that is the story of how I went from Canada to Mexico on a bicycle taking just over two months and spending an awful lot of time reading.


Now I have to think of something to do next:

Shit!








Tags: bicycle touring, pacific coast

 

About shalaith

Me looking stunning in orange and yellow!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United States Outlying Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.