Existing Member?

Sometimes I even know where I'm going.....but not often Cycling down the Pacific Hwy in the USA

San Fran to LA

UNITED STATES OUTLYING ISLANDS | Friday, 8 July 2011 | Views [645]

The DC at Golden Gate Bridge [the last place I saw my cycle computer]

The DC at Golden Gate Bridge [the last place I saw my cycle computer]

City cycling.

It's only fun if you're not actually trying to get anywhere.


It doesn't help that everything is in Spanish.

I shouldn't be surprised, California was part of Mexico once.

Until [as my friend Nick says] 'The US came and stole it!' Nick mimed shooting invisible California's with pistols, with associated 'bang bang' noises.

Now whenever I see street signs that start with 'San' 'Los' or 'Las' I get an involuntary image of a cowboy Nick swaggering around in riding leathers, shooting cactuses.

[Though my imagination is PG rated, because I doubt the US shot cacti when they took over].


“And what's with all the Del Mar's?” I asked Sydney after Nick had put away his air six guns. “Every town since San Francisco has had a Del Mar road, boulevard or street. I think there is even a town or a suburb I passed somewhere called Del Mar.”

“I think it means 'near the ocean' or 'of the sea'.” Sydney explained.

“Oh.” I thought about home and how everything ends in 'up'; Gelorup, Dardenup, Dalylup. Doesn't it mean 'near water'?

People like to name things after water.


San Francisco disappeared from my wing mirror on the 20th of June. It's the second of July....meaning that I spent twelve days getting to Los Angles. My cycle computer tells me I've done 470 miles, which is....urgh..um...about 720 kilometres right?

No. The internet says 756.39 kilometres....so I wasn't that far off. [Don't push me ok, I'm still suffering from my last maths lesson. I ran out of the room crying hysterically].


The road south of San Francisco has been more intense. Not physically. The terrain slacked off considerably with few awful hills and a humongously strong tail wind. Nope, the road has been great. The issue for me has simply been: Cars.


You always know you're in trouble when you come across a road that is named after the Prince of Darkness.

I mean, people don't name the lane way that heads through a rose garden 'Satan's Way' do they?

'Seven Devils' road' back in Oregon was a long steep road that dipped and rose like the chest of a hyperventilating hypochondriac during an outbreak of swine flu.

Anyway as I left San Francisco I had to cycle a road called 'Devil's Slide'.


As the name would suggest it wasn't a happy little bit of tarmac lined with daffodils and pansies.


Devil's slide is Highway One at it's most sinister. It goes into a steep five hundred foot climb, not a problem in itself, but it does it without any place for a cyclist to ride. As in, no verge. At all! Again not too much of an issue, until you add a single north bound lane and single south bound lane. Then laughing in cruel amusement the Devil clogs the road with swift, impatient, rush hour traffic.


It was that day that I decided anyone driving black overgrown utilities needed to be taken out and run over by a thousand bicycles.

Slowly I slogged up the rise with cars zooming by next to me. It wasn't a cool day and I was hot and tired.

I was sitting just in off the edge of the road when a black overgrown truck blasted his horn as if to tell me to get off the road [though I had nowhere to go] as a second car was coming North in the far lane, Mr 'black overgrown utility' over took me with barely a centimetre between us.

For those that don't know what it feels like to have someone almost hit them because they couldn't be bothered to slow down: the feeling isn't awesome.

Unfortunate for the rest of the rush hour traffic instead of getting scared like any sane person.

I got Angry.

Really Angry.

Watching my mirror I waited for enough of a lag in the traffic. Made sure they could see me in plenty of time.

Then I rode out into the middle of the lane and cycled there instead.


Because that is what one does when they are on a busy one two lane road and they are truly irritated.


It had the desired effect. The traffic in my lane slowed down, jammed up behind me. When the road was safe they pulled out, into the far lane and overtook me with lots of polite space between me and them.

“YOU. Will. WAIT!” I yelled to the world in general. “I have a bloody right to be here and you will wait you.....” I went on to explain just exactly what types of sons of whores they were.

When a verge reappeared I graciously went to the side and allowed all the polite and slightly baffled cars to pass.


Which, in hindsight probably wasn't the most clever thing to do really.

I was watching them in my mirror I made sure they had enough time to see me and slow down.

But still.


It wasn't the last time I would vent my rage on this particular leg of the journey either. Whilst riding through strawberry farmland I heard a clack of nails on the road behind me. Turning my head I caught sight of a dog roughly the size of Shetland pony, tearing towards me. It's hackles were up, and I noted distantly, that it's teeth were huge.


You had to feel sorry for the poor animal really.


“GETONBACK!” I roared at it.

The dog's sprint slowed to a confused wary trot and it actually glanced over it's shoulder to see if it's mates were coming too. I could hear the other dogs barking from the driveway but they didn't follow.

It growled at me and barked again, but there was a lack of true feeling in it.

I waved a threatening hand. “GO On Home.” I yelled.

Clearly confused the animal retreated a little.

I remounted, ready to cycle off. But the dog made as if to run after me. So I turned my bike around and rode deliberately towards it.

“Follow me and there'll be trouble.” I promised it firmly.

The dog decided that I was chastened enough and retreated meekly to its' yard.


I think something about the constant close contact with lots of heavy traffic has made me unnecessarily aggressive.

Or maybe I'm just used to the calm quiet of Northern California and Oregon. In the South of California time caught up with me. Gone was the quiet little towns existing in their time bubbles of long ago. Gone was the long empty roads winding through silent hills by the sea.

In its place raging freeways, over populated suburbs and gimmicky tourists traps posing as towns.


Ooooh that was harsh.

Ok it's not that bad. It was pretty. People were still friendly, if an alarming number of them seemed to be a few volleyball nets short of a beach.

To be frank the reason I'm being so critical towards southern California because everyone is always telling me how it's the 'best place in the world'.

Which is....actually pretty funny.


These unfortunate bastards think a beach is a place you share with five thousand other people. They think a holiday involves spending every cent you have on paper weights and t-shirts with the name of the town you visited scrawled across it by some ten year old in China. And they are convinced that if you put an amusement park right by the ocean that it will somehow improve the ambience.

Why am I being so mean?

I can't help it.

I'm sorry south California but you just aren't as good as you seem to think you are.


So I left San Francisco; the place where people wander around doing their shopping in the nude.

“Is it legal?” I asked a stranger as the naked couple strolled by us in the centre of the city.

“It's disgusting!” The man exclaimed unhelpfully.

“Don't they get a ticket or something?” A girl in the hostel wanted to know when I recounted the event later that night.

“....where would they stick it?” I pointed out. Then we spent the next ten minutes pretending we hadn't all had the same distasteful mental image.


I left San Francisco went over Devil's slide, got caught up with all the traffic and ended up in a little campground called Half Moon Bay. Spent the evening chatting to a couple of boys from Utah. Two boys my age and their dad who had cycled from....Portland I think [inland Oregon]. We were sitting around a campfire talking when a figure erupted from the darkness yelled:

BAH!” and vanished into the night.

All five of us jumped a foot. The old bloke who had got the fire going for us shook his head and informed us that you really shouldn't do that type of thing to a Vietnam veteran.


The next day, after being inspired by my new Utah friends. I declared I was going to do 60miles to New Brighton Beach.

60Miles is 96.56 kilometres [thankyou google].

I had bought a new cycle computer [lost the other one under Golden Gate Bridge]. The guy I got it off said that if I wanted him to put it on for me, it would cost $15. Filled with trepidation I decided to program the darn thing myself.

Surprisingly I followed the instructions and the device [notorious for being impossibly complicated] worked perfectly for me. I know, I'm awesome you don't have to tell me.

Filled with confidence I charged off in the morning. And finally reached New Brighton at 7pm.

And I was absolutely starving!

63.26miles, my new cycle computer told me. I programmed it to be in imperial because it made life easier.

It was a warm day. I stopped about four times to reapply sunscreen and still got a little singed. I have the silliest tan lines every now. Tanned fingers. White hands. Brown arms with sleeve lines and glove lines on my wrists.

I went through farmland by strawberry fields full of Mexicans bent in half and the smell of jam. Saw the first of many porta potties.


Porta Potties. [Portable toilets]. It is as though the people of southern California have some sort of port potty surplus. They are in fields, by beaches, in golf courses, near sports fields or often just sitting around in the middle of nowhere.

Don't get me wrong, for a cyclists there can never be too many toilets in the world. But often where I would expect someone to build a permanent bathroom there is it's place a porta potty. Or there is a shell of bathroom with a porta potty inside.

“Should we put the plumbing in?”

“Nah we'll just whack a porta potty in there.”

If you own a porta potty business this is the place to be....for some reason?

Toilets aside, I reached Santa Cruz and promptly got lost amidst all the sideshow junk they've stuck on the beach. Why is there a roller coaster on the shoreline? And a casino? And I don't know, a pier covered in tourist traps? Isn't being at the beach enough?

It was colourful. Old hippies strummed guitars. Latino and African American boys stood in lazy huddles looking arrogantly self assured. I noted with some fascination how everyone was on a bike that perfectly matched their personalities. Hobos on rusted over mountain bikes. Young boys trying to look tough on black beach combers with Harley style raised handle bars. Young women on pastel coloured graceful beach cruisers [single speed bicycles with the wide handlebars-popular in the seventies and eighties] College students on artfully dated looking road bikes with steel fenders. Everywhere I looked people were distilled to a more pure aspect of themselves and had a bicycle to match.


So interesting were the people that I ended up with twelve miles to go and no idea of where I was.


I met a girl.

She told me where I was, where I needed to do in order to be where I was going.

Then she told me that she had cycled from BC to San Francisco last summer in the company of two German boys. She said it was one of the best things she's ever done [she didn't specify if it was the cycling or the two Germans or both]. Now she's finished College and is trying to get her comic books published. And she was going home to watch Dr Who.

I think I would have married her. A cyclist how writes comic books and watches Dr Who! There can be more perfect a human than this? I think there could not.


Reluctantly I left her to return her library books and carried on.

Even with several people's instructions and vigorous study of the map it took ages to reach the campground.

Highway One gets too big near a city and I have to fend for myself on the side roads. As my navigation abilities are about as good as a Canadian Goose's are when the goose is in France, I tend to find myself doing many stressful and unnecessary miles.

Anyway doing 60miles in one day was a stupid idea. I was so tired that after the next days ride I was an exhausted mess. After getting to Monterey [about 30miles] I took a day off to recover.


The ride to Monterey was awful. Head wind, flat farmland with nothing to look at and only the snarl of endless traffic to occupy my thoughts. It was the ugliest, boringist stupidest day of the trip. That was the day I met that poor dog.

In Monterey I met some more ex-soliders. Two guys from San Diego doing a bike tour from San Francisco. Both of them were living on disability pensions from the military. One of them had been next to a car that had been hit by a mortar bomb. [still unsure if it is a mine or a bomb. Think it's a bomb]. His leg and hip had deep twisted scars next to a tattoo of the bomb that had given him the injury.

“Why do you have a tattoo of the thing that hurt you?” I asked.

“Helps tell the story.” He explained. They were both Marines. Or had been. Now one of them taught music and the other lived a life of relative leisure. If these guys were anything to go on Marines are big teddy bears. Though they said other people they had worked with were huge scary idiots.

I was surprised when Markus told me that he rode a scooter for a while.

“A scooter?” I asked laughing. Markus was an impractical size for a scooter.

“Hey don't laugh they're really fuel efficient.” He began.

“Yeah but you're a Marine.” I cried unable to contain my prejudice. “Marines don't ride scooters.”

Then he tried to tell me that my 250 Honda isn't much bigger than a scooter.

“It is. And it looks like a motorcycle.” I defended my bike.


People. I am discovering. Are simply people. Where ever they live and whatever they do as a job.

The scariest thing about anyone I think, is how similar they are to me.


I got up at noon the next day. My phone woke me at 7.20am but I whacked it with my fist a few times and it decided to be quiet. When I did decided to go find some food, around four in the afternoon I found Monterey to be a cute little beach side spot. Touristy as usual, but quaint. Without quite decided too I found myself in yet another bookshop.


Food and books.

As long as I have food and books I'm alright. If I don't have one or the other or both I will destroy anything in my way to get them.

Maybe I should have gone to aquarium. Monterey has a fancy famous aquarium.

I didn't.

Couldn't eat it.

Couldn't read it.

What's the point?

Ah I'm a terrible traveller. Sometimes I think the reason I decided to go travelling was simply to find good places to read my book in peace.


The next day I cycled on, carrying a novel and two hard cover graphic novels [comic books published as books-they weigh lots].

I ended up 30 miles south in Pfieffer Redwoods Big Sur state park. I'd been vaguely concerned about Big Sur.

“Oh the hills!” People told me.

“So steep!” They said.

“And the ROAD!” Acquaintances exclaimed.

“So narrow!” They cried.

Until I was thinking I was going to fall off the edge of a goat track, after climbing Everest sized mountains.


Despite popular belief Big Sur was fantastic riding. The road was wide. The traffic was polite. I even got applause when I reached the top of one not horribly big hill.

“Good job!” A fellow smiled as I slogged up to the hill's crest. The cliff lined coast swept off below and before us in orange, green and emerald. It was breath taking. Which was a bit of a problem since I was still trying to get my breath back after the climb.


Later a woman leaned out of her car's window, I braced myself for an insult. The woman cheered.

Big Sue is seventy miles of road that runs right along the spectacular coast. I liked it.

It was a good place to be a bicycle tourist.

With all the cheering and clapping I felt like a celebrity.


I spent three days cycling it. Met a number of bikers who had started in San Francisco. They thought Big Sur had big hills. I kept my mouth shut and felt superior. If it doesn't take an hour to climb then it isn't a hill.

Of course more experienced cyclists than me probably say that if it doesn't take a day to climb then it isn't a hill. But there is always someone who's done something more extreme.


The land flatterned out after Big Sur. Treeless rolling brown hills. Oh look, South Australia. Except as far as I know SA doesn't have elephant seals. Elephant seals aren't very pretty. They lie on the beach like blubbery, sandy, black and grey tubes of rubber. When they move the blubber ripples in unlovely grotesqueness. They are huge! Much bigger than they look on a tv screen. Bigger than a cow. And they make a noise that sounds a bit like a boat wallowing near a jetty. A sound of air and water mixing around in a big pipe. A sort of Gullllunk Guuuulunk noise.


In the campgrounds the average size of RV's diminished dramatically. Most people had tents and the trailers were modest. Up north everyone was in a giant bus. Must be weather related.

Weather is glorious.


Down to Los Angeles I stayed on the coast. Sleeping by the beach and watching sea lions and pelicans eyeing off small children playing in the surf.

I met the first solo woman cyclist I've encountered on the trip. She was built like a race horse. Tall, muscular, pretty. She'd come down from Vancouver in 21 days.

Had one day off.

“I'm just really enjoying cycling.” She exclaimed.

She teaches full time and has a part time job at REI. Just talking to her was exhausting. I went to bed early. When I woke up she was gone.


As I went south the land got dryer, the air got hotter. there were more homeless people.


Trivia question for you people.

Q: When is the best time to cycle into a major American city?

A: Not on the Saturday of the 4th of July long weekend.


The next question is:

Q: When did Kym cycle into Los Angeles?


Well the answer is pretty obvious and fairly stupid. Yes I did know that it was the 4th of July. But I couldn't be bothered sitting above LA waiting for the long weekend to be over. So I cycled into the hideous mess that is LA. Cycling into Malibu I passed a sign: Los Angeles city limits

pop 3 795 589

I gaped at the sign and carried on.


The thing about cycling in a place that is home to three million people is that you constantly have to make decisions. And the decisions are never very fun.

Do I take out the nice Asian couple and avoid being hit by that SUV or do I breath in really hard?

Do I pull out into the lane and risk the cars or do I challenge the woman with the pram for the foot path?

Do I speed up to get passed that surfboard or do I hit the brakes and hope the group of cyclists behind me have good brakes too?

Do I snap that guy's door off or do I wait until he shuts it and stops blocking the bike lane!


There was a bike lane in LA. The issue was that there was cars parked in it! Parked cars are scary. Doors open. People step out from behind them. They pull out.

Cars.

They really do vex me at times.

It was a great relief to get on to the LA bike path that runs along the beach. Only that was frighting as well.

People on rental bikes seriously need to learn about cycling in logical straight lines. Wobbling from one side of the bike path to the other is only acceptable when 2000000 people aren't on the path with you. And kids on trainer wheels really need a big plastic bubble around them. Teenagers walking four abreast across the path need shooting. And racers, cycling at sixty kilometres an hour while 2000000 people are wobbling, walking, trainer-wheeling on a piece of concrete two meters wide....well they should probably slow down.

LA bike path was certainly, interesting.


I ended up in Santa Monica's HI hostel. The same one I stayed in last year when I flew into the country. I had intended to go to Universal Studios or Disney land. I didn't.

Couldn't eat it. Couldn't read it.

And it was the fourth of July and everyone I met had already been or didn't want to go. I'm not a needy person but the idea of wandering around an amusement park by myself, surrounded by the holiday crowd didn't appeal.

On the 4th of July I tried to find the parade. It wasn't where I left it. So I missed it.

I bought a six dollar Captain America t-shirt and wandered around Santa Monica attracting amused comments.

I gave up on having a 4th of July and went to a book shop and read graphic novels in a corner until my eyes got sore.

Then I went and drank beer.


It was one of those days that I missed my family. Tammy and Xander would be fabulous to go to Disney land with! Mel and Jim would have found a party or started one of their own. Jacob and Charise would be at the beach playing volleyball and swimming. Mum and Dad wouldn't be in the city. They'd be out climbing a mountain or something.


That night me and some strangers ended up having a few rather unexciting beers in a pub just down from the hostel.

Independence day. Not a day to actually be independent.


And that is the abridged version of my trip to LA.

All I gotta do now is get to the boarder.









 

About shalaith

Me looking stunning in orange and yellow!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United States Outlying Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.