Existing Member?

Exotic Endeavours

You better Belize it!!

BELIZE | Wednesday, 10 September 2008 | Views [687]

After a 4 hour bus ride through the jungles of Belize arrived at Belize city where i took a 1 hr ferry ride to Caye Caulker, an island just off the coast of Belize. Here my friend Jody met me and got me settled into my hostel that was situated right on the beach. The island was gorgeous, white sand beaches and crystal clear blue water. The worlds 2nd largest barrier reef is located here off the coast of Belize. My first full day i took a day long snorkelling tour on a sail boat. We went to three different marine parks along the barrier reef. During my time diving i saw sea turtles, Baracuda, Sharks, Goliath groupers, corals, etc. it was great, ohh yeah and sting rays !

The next day i wanted to go night diving, but they would only take me if i set up a group. so i scrounged the island for some adventurous people. First i made my friend Jody sign up and 2 other friends i had met the day before. We left at about 7pm in the dark and boated out for about half an hour into the pitch dark ocean. The starts were so bright but still it was FREAKY as all get out. Once we arrived at the buoy indicating we were in the marine park our dive operator instructed us to get our gear on and jump in!.. because it was my idea i had to go first, my original excitement turned to extreme fear as i watched the dark shawdows of sharks and rays circle our little boat.

I jumped in struggling to catch my breath, as i reached for my flash light and shawn it into the deep all i could see were eyes and fins and bubble swimming away. Our guide dived in and told us to follow him , he slowly guided us for 2 hours through the reef from DEEP water to Very shallow where the reef was just about touching us. As i swam i was swarmed by 1000s of small fish all attracted to me because the blood sucking blood worms hanging off my googles and in my hair. These womrs when pushed or eaten would expel glowing substances at times the whole reef was lit with bright green and blue light. 3 species of lobsters were busy eating, parrot fish were alseep in there mucous cocoons, Nocternal species of sharks were out hunting there dinner.

I called for the group to stop and turn of there lights, half way into our dive. We all floated in a group in the pur darkness, then we all started splashing about, the water became completely luminescent it was magical!!!...

This was the most exciting day of my life i think!! We slowy made our way to shore in the boat watching shooting stars.

Beleive in Belize

About seths-pad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Belize

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.