Existing Member?

Exotic Endeavours

Antigua Guatemala

GUATEMALA | Monday, 25 August 2008 | Views [1185]

After doing laundry in Grenada i set out for Guatemala. The bus left from Managua so i had to spend the entire day there. It was the most ugly city i have ever seen. It was basically a giant garbage dump that millions of people lived in. The entire journey to Antigua took 32hrs !!!! On the way there we passed through honduras and El Salvador. Antigua is the old Guatamala city but due to Earth Quakes and political unrest it was moved 50 kms away. Antigua is a gorgeous small town surrounded by many volcanoes. The streets are filled with mayan farmers selling fresh goods and souveniers. The city is full of ruins from before the earth quake. On my second full day here i took a shuttle to Volcan paya where a group of us rode and hiked and climbed up to near the top where the lava was flowing. Posinous gasses seaped out of the crevices so one had to be careful no to breath to deeply. Here ontop of the volcanoe we roasted marshmellows and melted our shoes!

About seths-pad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.