Existing Member?

Audaces fortuna iuvat (Fortune Favors the Bold)

Immigration PROBLEMS IN BOLIVIA

BOLIVIA | Friday, 9 January 2009 | Views [624]

the brazillians jeep that rolled over

the brazillians jeep that rolled over

Sorry for the delay in blogging but the the internet in bolivia is exetremely slow and i'm behind about a week. But i can't forget THIS!! So after the first day we headed to Uyuni because we couldnt access the salt flats because the route was too flooded. So we were put up in a hotel in Uyuni, which is a dusty desert town with the only nearby attraction being the salt flats.

So now that i was in Uyuni i would have to finalize my immigration status, for the last 2 days i was officially in no country. So i had to go to the immigration office in uyuni to get a tourist visa. Since i have the privelge of being an american citizen traveling abroad, i get to pay 135 usd for a visa while everyone else gets in free!! Well its necessary so i go to the immigration office and they tell me that they dont accept chilean pesos, which is all i have. So i have to go around and finally find a respectable place to change my chilean pesos into bolivan boliveanos. So i do that and go back and pay them and then they ask for my yellow fever vaccination certification, SHIT!! Nobody told me about that!

When i was back home before the trip i told my doctor in york everything that i needed, vaccinations wise. Apparently there was a mixup and i didnt recieve my yellow fever vaccination. Soo after running to my hotel and checking if i had it, realizing that i didnt and fearing the consequences, maybe having to go back to chile, another 3 day journey or whatever the unpredcitable bolivian immigration officers might do. I returned back to the immigration office and told them that i didnt have it. But that i needed to be able to enter bc my tour was continuing to the salt flats the next day. I pleaded with them and asked if there was anything they could do to let me in, after asking them for awhile they said that if i wasnt going to enter the jungle, which i wasnt, that i could pay another "fee" and be allowed to enter bolivia, legally. So i paid an extra 10 usd and now i had a legal visa to enter bolivia, YES!! But i still of having the problem of having no yellow fever vaccination in a continent which ususally requires proof of having it before allowing entrance.

About senor-lance


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.