Existing Member?

Audaces fortuna iuvat (Fortune Favors the Bold)

Beautiful Amazing Bolivia!!

BOLIVIA | Saturday, 10 January 2009 | Views [1002]

Me in the salt flats making a pose

Me in the salt flats making a pose

After all of the problems i had with immigration it felt really good to be done with all of it and start experiencing things inside bolivia without the immigration complications hanging around in my mind.

So the third day of our jeep ride we would leave uyuni and head to the salar de uyuni (Salt flats of Uyuni). Everyone you ever meet traveling says that the salt flats of bolivia are the most incredible experience they´ve had in south america, so i was really looking forward to it.

When you arrive to the salt flats the first thing you see is the industrial part of it. The bolivian government doesn´t allow modern methods of excavation..ie massive dozers and trucks scraping salt. Instead you see people with shovels making big piles of salt, in order for the salt to dry bc it there is about an inch or 2 of rain on the entire salt flat. Next you´ll see other people shoveling these dried salt piles into trucks.

Once we drove about 20 mins. into the salt flats it becomes surreal. No horizion, just white ground with bluish sky. It´s impossible to explain but absoulutely stunning! We got out and took crazy pictures, which you can do because there is only one endless white and blue background. So you can put the camera close to an object, ie bottle, and if you put the camera near to the bottle and have a person stand back a bit behind the bottle it will appear that you are standing on top of the bottle. So we spent about an hour experimenting with different shots. Then the brazillians jeep, the same group who had the rollover, wouldnt start. The wet salt flats are incredibly damaging on the jeeps, salt water is thrown everywhere in the engine and drivetrain. But eventually they got it started and we went back to uyuni to finish our tour, even with all the immigration problems i experienced i would do it again without a doubt. I will never experience anything like this ever again!

About senor-lance


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.