Existing Member?

Audaces fortuna iuvat (Fortune Favors the Bold)

The best jeep ride ever!!! and the worst for some...

BOLIVIA | Friday, 9 January 2009 | Views [606]

Sooo once i got thru the bolivian customs we set out thru the remote bolivian highlands. The first day we constantly ascended through the andes mountains. The whole place is pretty lifeless, not much greenery. But because there are loads of volcanoes around this area, there are massive volcanic rocks around, which supplemets the landscape quite nicely. You´ll have empty desert valleys and then these massive volcanic rocks will be all over the place.

We ended up staying at this makeshift village near a natural spring, it was basic but well enough. We did a little hike and ended up stumbling on a llama drive. There was just one woman who was bringing back the llamas to the village from a day of grazing over the next mountain. The backdrop to the drive was amazing, you had a spring kindof marsh with lots of flamingos walking around, massive mountains in the background covered with a blue flog and green shortgrass as a kindof road for the llama drive.

The real excitement came when we got back to the village. There were 4 jeeps in our jeep caravan, ours was the lead jeep and we got to the village first but for one jeep, full of young energetic brazilians. They had quite the incident, they were driving on the path, i say path loosely bc it´s an amazingly rugged terrain, large locks are everywhere, the path is exetremely rough to drive. Well the brazillians jeep ended up having a serious accident, while they were driving along the rock road the driver lost control and ended up rolling the jeep. One of the brasilians had a pretty bad cut and bruise on his eye and one other hurt his leg real bad. The brasilians were surprisingly upbeat and positive. They could have let this serious incident spoil the rest of their trip, but they joked and laughed about it and were super positive about the whole thing. The driver of the jeep though had to be punished i guess so the main driver, our driver, made him drive the jeep to uyuni, a 2 day drive. The bad part for the driver was that there was now no window or mirrors, and the whole thing was smashed up. It would have been hell to drive without a window in an enviroment like that!

About senor-lance


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.