Existing Member?

perennialsteps

as if meditating at Borobudur Temple - Java: 2009

INDONESIA | Wednesday, 27 January 2010 | Views [1231] | Comments [2]

Full Moon from Borobudur Temple

Full Moon from Borobudur Temple

5 am and it's time to go for sunrise at Borobudur temple. I bought “visiting Borobudur before 6 am opening hour” trip for about Rp200.000 at Manohara hotel. It's regrettable that the sky was cloudy hence we were not able to see the sunrise clearly. On the other hand, I could take some pictures of Borobudur with its moon-set view. The view of stupas’s shadow iluminated by the moonlight in the dark with trees as the background was stunning. Unfortunately, I only brought a pocket camera that mediocrely capture the dark view or was it because I coudn’t use it optimaly? By circling the upper side of Borobudur, I could look at diiferent views such as mountains, forest, and a big tent. A big tent? Yup, the tent was used to celebrate Vesak day a day before. I only joined in Vesak’s celebration on the afternoon, while my friends also joined at night. Indonesia’s president also joined the celebration at nigt. He stayed at Manohara hotel which located inside Borobudur’s complex, hence the hotel was fully booked. It was great to be able to celebrate certain religion’s holy day without being a member of the religion.

At 6 am, Borobudur’s gate is opened for public with far cheaper entry fee around Rp20,000 compared to the price visitors should pay if they want to get inside before 6 am. You should pay ten times higher to get the tranquil atmosphere at Borobudur temple, but I still think that it’s worth paying. There were already quite a lot of visitors who also want to see the morning view of Borobudur or just want to take pictures among the stupa. The most disturbing thing was the voice from a loud speaker warning the visitors for not climbing the stupas. However, seeing people try to climb the stupas was more irritating :)

We were off from Borobudur around 7 am. An old man showed me a point where I can grab the whole view of Borobudur. He himself makes a living by taking other people’s pictures at Borobudur site. I hope he still have a lot of customer in spite of the increasing usage of digital camera.

Comments

1

buddha temple

  phonekyaw Feb 15, 2010 4:09 AM

2

Borobudur is built as a one large stupa and when viewed from above takes the form of a giant tantric Buddhist mandala, simultaneously representing the Buddhist cosmology and the nature of mind. On the top of the platform of Buddhist pilgrims a meditation center is there. The people who want to meditate can take part.

  Borobudur temple Jan 6, 2011 10:58 PM

About selizabeth


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.