Existing Member?

Travel adventures of the Cooks Exploring the UK and Europe, no plans, just each other and our backpacks.

Welcome to sunny London

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 8 August 2007 | Views [677]

Our new house

Our new house

So here we are in London, its been a week and a half now and we are starting to get the hang of things. Finally settled into a place and beoming experts on the Tube! And of course found a great local pub! The most important thing in London.

It hasnt all been rosy. We booked into our first hostel the sunday before last, and I nearly died! What a dump!!! I lay awake all the first night convinced my bed had bed bugs, itching constantly, it was awful at the time, but god for a luagh now. I set all the guys in our dorm off the next night ater I told them i thouht there were bed bugs, they all lay in bed scratching that night!! Got out of there as soon as we could and moved into  a much nicer hostel around the corner, only problem was the 8 Flights of stairs to our room!!! Apparently they dont believe in lifts!!!!

But that is only the start of the dramas, then came the house hunting!!! Who would have thought a city with so much housing would have so many shockers!!! If the place wasnt already taken (5 mins after it was advertised), they wouldnt accept couples, or just wouldnt return calls! Then you would finally find somewhere that was available and trek off to see it, and it would no doubt be a shocker!!! We had the options of a TINY two bed apartment to share with a relly old russian couple, with no living room, or a realy great warehouse apartment with NO windows (i mean none in the entire building and no door to the outside, only to a foyer), with people smoking inside, or anything else that was more than a 20 min walk from the nearest tube station or shop. But finally we found soemthing, perfect location, great room, great kitchen, the rest is a little shabby, but we arent complaining! Its a palace compared to the others!!

Our first week we spent every minute of our day searching for a home, and by thursday we decided we needed a day out to actually see some of this city we have moved to, before we murdered each other before we got to see any of the sights!! So we took off to see the tower bridge and Harrods and the best toy shop ive ever seen in my life. Yesterday we went to visit the queen, pity she wasnt home, but there were about 2 million people there to see the changing of the guards, so i didnt see a thing, and sean saw a tiny bit (oh to be tall...) before we decided to get out before the crush of the crowd and wander around the city for a while.

Caught up with Paletta and Lesley for a rooftop barbie at thier house last weekend and have been enjoying the sun everyday! I had to go out and buy more summer clothes, why did I listen to everyone that told me I wouldnt need any in London! We only had one cludy day since we arrived, the one day we went sightseeing!! Every other day has been beautiful! And you've gotta love daylight savings!! Light till after 10 every night!!

Went to meet my new boss and see my school today. What an amazing place!!! The teachers are so wonderful and it felt like walking into home! Cant believe how lucky I have been to find somewhere like this! Its all a little crazy, the school is in 5 different building spread over 2 different blocks, so the kids walk through streets, in between warehouses and down a main road to get between classes, it would never happen at home, but it just seems to add character! Cant wait to get in there!!

Heading off to Amsterdam for a few days next week, and in the meantime will just try to familiarise ourselves with London and explore anything we can find!

Tags: Misadventures

 
 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.