Existing Member?

Travel adventures of the Cooks Exploring the UK and Europe, no plans, just each other and our backpacks.

Bikes and Dikes in Amsterdam

NETHERLANDS | Friday, 17 August 2007 | Views [2669]

We spent four nights in Amsterdam. I dont think you can describe amsterdam in words, its one of those places that has to be experienced. Its a city of extremes. Such a beautiful city, you see the gorgeous canals, the beautiful homes and all the old style bikes and you feel like you have gone back in time, but then you turn a corner and see all the neon lights, the signs of sex and rugs everywhere you look, its just so bizarre how it all fits together but it does. And then there is the red lights and the neverending rows of windows!! It needs to be seen to be believed!

We stayed in a fantastic Hostel, the Bulldog, and apart from the arrogant and noisy groups of canadians that kept appearing in our dorm, you would have thought you were in a hotel, we had a great double bed ( ok it was a bunk bed, but it was still luxury for sean, single beds just arent made for him), and the best shower in the history of showers!! There was a great bar downstairs where we managed to fit in about 7 games of scrabble.

We explored the city during the day and at night. A canal cruise, two museums (yes I actually went to two museums!), and plenty of walking. Not to mention the Hieneken brewery, where we spent at last 4 hours!! It was fantastic!

We met up wiht a couple of guys Sean went to school with who happened to be staying at our hostel the last night we were there and went out for a few drinks met a CRAZY old dutchman at a bar, who entertained us with crazy stories, random comments, singing until we thought he was going to keel over in front of us and plenty of other wierd shenanigans, then we headed off to the Ice Bar and had a great night!

And then there was the Bikes. Ive never been a huge Fan of Bikes, and 4 days in amsterdam has left me with a serious fear of anything with two wheels! Ive never in my life seen so many bikes and such frightening streets!! I shudder now everytime I see a bike!

4 days in Amsterdam may have steatched things a little, and I think next trip might be limited to three nights, someone told me you see Amsterdam through Different eyes on your 4th night and that was definitely true!

Tags: Culture

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.