Existing Member?

Travel adventures of the Cooks Exploring the UK and Europe, no plans, just each other and our backpacks.

Manchester to Scotter and surrounds

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 23 July 2007 | Views [587]

York Minster

York Minster

Manchester was not the most exciting city. We should have worked that out when even the lonely planet and the visit Manchester websites could only list two things to do in Manchester – visit the Man united stadium, and go to Europe’s largest shopping Mall the Trafford centre. But even so, it was a nice introduction to the UK and we enjoyed just wandering around and exploring all the different shops (and pubs). Met some great publicans, hanging out at their friends pubs who entertained us for hours with tales of Manchester and pub life.

Tuesday morning we headed for the train to Scunthorpe where Sean’s uncle Paul picked us up, and we have been staying with him and Julie since then. Sean’ s relatives have all been so welcoming and between Paul and Julie, their daughter April and Bunt and his wife Julie, and Emma and Vicky we have had someone wanting to take us out and about any spare minute we have had!

We had a wonderful day in York with Julie, Bunt and Emma. It is such a beautiful county town, with gorgeous buildings ranging from the stunning Minster, to the cobble stone streets and crooked buildings of the Chambles. Not to mention loads of gorgeous shops and yummy fudge! Definitely a place to see if you are travelling around this way!

Saturday Sean and Bunt went to the Footy (or soccer for us Aussies) and I went shopping in Lincoln with Julie and Emma. After several days of beautiful weather, it was a true English day and did not stop raining for a second. But the trusty Brolly did the job and we stayed relatively dry, except for the water seeping up our jeans from the ground, after four hours walking two miles up a mountain side shopping Mall and back down again we left with jeans soaked to the knees, but proud to say I didn’t spend a cent!

In between all the shopping and visiting the Village Pubs (the tally is now up to 8), we have spent plenty of time relaxing and recovering from all the stress of packing up and leaving everything behind. April’s gorgeous little girl Isobel has given me my fix of  toddler games and Sean has given her a few lessons in money and technology.

Tags: Family

 
 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.