Existing Member?

Nomad Earth

Day 19 Zwentendorf - Vienna (KM 1935.9)

AUSTRIA | Friday, 27 June 2008 | Views [567] | Comments [3]

Without a break I paddeled to get to Vienna before lunch and then I get to the Lock and sidearm of Greifenstein. In the quiet sidearm which they almost always convert into a bathing area, are the finest swimming facilities I have seen all trip. I decide to stay and get rewarded with showers after an hour at about half one. The radio had said no showers in the afternoon. There are two more before I get to the Vienna Pirates at KM 41, one of many viannese canoe clubs. Six ks further down there is a rowing club and I decide to take my chances as it's closer to the center.

Nobody home and I ask around meeting a local lady who had done two World Championships white watering for Austria. After finally someone arrives at the club, I pitch my tent and get a shower.

Off to the center. There is a bus stop over the road and I meet an American who has brilliant German. I honestly wouldn't have known this man to be Californian had it not been for his clothes and mannerisms. He is married to an Austrian lady and I tell him it's bad luck his German is so brilliant - surely sometimes it's better not to know what the woman you are married to shouts at you. California being one of my favourite places in the world we got on like a house on fire and he showed me the ins and outs of the Vieannese public transport system.

It's not overly complicated and only half an hour city life has me back. I tank Hot Chocolate with whipped cream at the famous Hotel 'Sacher' shunning the cake which is also famous but rather unremarkable.

The ice-cream at all the Gelaterias is standard but at Zanoni&Zanoni you get the biggest portions for your two bucks and all of Vienna seems to know as the chairs and tables in front of the establishment in the Kärntnerstrasse are filled with masses of people - very cosmopolitan. Not a small area either - we are talking a thousand square feet just for an ice-cream parlour. I love the city - I enjoy the buzz and Vienna certainly has a very special atmosphere. Just like in them very old 'Hans Moser' films. Hungarian violins played, people in suits and dresses coming out of the theatre or the famous Viannese Opera. Hungarian violins playing in the distance...

http://www.vienna.at/

 Have I told you? They are playing 'The Producers' in the original German ;)

When I saw it in New-York it had Nathan Lane and Matthew Brodderick in it. Brilliant! Here it's an Austrian (German?) cast. We'll see...

Comments

1

I'm getting really jealous, your trip is just sounding amazing. Not to happy about the lack of photos though! We need more photos so get snapping!

Besos

  Issy Jun 29, 2008 9:16 PM

2

Hi ralph, just picked up the link from Mark and enjoying keeping up with your journey and antics. Enjoy and see you when you get home Suzanne x

   Suzanne Jun 30, 2008 6:09 PM

3

Hi Ralph

Been away in Cyprus, so just got back to read your posts - sounds a brilliant adventure! Me jealous? - oh yes, more than just a little...

I guess you're spending some time out in Vienna - hope you enjoyed it & got to try all the cake & ice-cream you could possibly want.

Then just keep on paddling - so long as you keep going in the right direction, you'll get there in the end...

Good luck for the next part & keep on going

Jo

  jo Jun 30, 2008 7:12 PM

About seal


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.