Existing Member?

Nomad Earth

Day 18 Melk - Zwentendorf ( 60!! kms )

AUSTRIA | Thursday, 26 June 2008 | Views [485]

OK, read all your comments and I’m really grateful for them and the many jokes and suggestions. Although I’m enjoying my trip, especially when I meet lots of new people at stops or in the evening at the campsites, it is good to know you are there whilst I’m doing the hard, lonely work during the day.

 

Didn’t get away until nine today – the quiet after the storm!!

However, I managed my very first 28 kms in less than two hours!!! That’s a not too shabby  16 km/h. Compare with 2.5km/h yesterday. To my colleagues at the OAG – not gone in yet – I know this is dissapointing but I’m really trying. Difficult though as the Danube is just a big lake most of the time with the water standing at 0 km/h at least 15k before the next weir and lock.

 

Therefore, less then two hours for 28 k meant I got to ‘Dürnstein just shortly before eleven o’clock’. Rewarded myself with a two hour walk around the place.

Please check it out – really worth a trip and if just for the vinyards and wine tasting. Chocolate is also made here J

 

http://www.duernstein.at/

 

I come past Krems where I take a picture of kilometer  ‘2000’ – not far to go now J

What I don’t know is that Krems is totally flooded and was hit by hailstones the size of an egg in last night’s storm whilst I was at the Cafe Central. Millions of Euros damage The tent is still in fine nick.

 

We also played ‘Find me, Elmo. Find me.’ When I got to the campsite described in my guide it turns out the thing is two ks inland. Not an option with a hundred kilogram of  gear.

‘Go to Altenwörth’, young man’ I’m told by the Innkeepers where I stopped to enquire. I thank them for the ‘young’ and I’m on my merry way.

 

Altenwörth looks like a bomb has hit it. There is so much driftwood in the sidearm that it takes me over an hour to get to the other side. (Only 1km). By now more stormclouds are forming, it’s getting late and dark. I’m wet, cold and getting worried with all that drift wood  bumping into me. Should have taken the lock! After all, I did bring a bouancy aid especially as the are obligatory in Austrian locks. I’ve not worn it so far and it’s turned into the most expensive pillow I’ve ever bought.

 

Obviously there is no chance of camping here at Altenwörth with all that destruction. (Why didn’t I take a picture? – ARE YOU KIDDING!)

 

I have an excellent guide and it says only 8ks down river is a very nice campsite. Current as always after the lock is good and I get there in less then fourty minutes.

 

Campsite is inland 500meters only though. Nothing like a treck with kayak and in the rain. Twenty minutes later I’m there and if you have ever pitched a tent in the dark and rain you know what I was saying whilst doing it.

 

I get going and get to a pizza place in town. Energy food is still on the menu J. Dodgiest establishment in all of Austria for sure - there is certainly no link for this on the net.

The lady is Bulgarian and after all the ‘Where from?’ and ‘Where to?’ she says I’m very brave to go to Bulgaria and Romania on my own. My reply is that I have to get there first and remembering ‘Altenwörth’ I add that bravery and stupidity lie very close together. And you know me – I’ve done a few stupid things in my time. This might take the biscuit though....

About seal


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.