Existing Member?

Nomad Earth

Day 9 Regensburg - Straubing KM 2381.5 - KM 2327.5

GERMANY | Tuesday, 17 June 2008 | Views [448] | Comments [1]

If you've read some of the other journal entries you've probably noticed that I've changed the way I count the kilometers. I now have 2327.5 kms left to the Black Sea. This also means that by the end of tomorrow I will have managed to paddle well over 300 kms already, having started at KM 2586.1. In a nutshell - it's a countdown.

After an extremely good night's sleep (I fell asleep listening to the radio whilst Germany were only just beating Austria) I got on the water at 8.30am straight into a water slide. They are a lot of fun but not straight after breakfast. Anyway,  I came past some exceptionally beautiful sights today, including Walhalla. You'll have to wait till I can upload the pictures or check it out here: http://www.walhalla-regensburg.de/ .

The weather and temperature have changed. It#s been mainly overcast during the day and I have to paddle in a sweater. It's not quite cold enough for my paddle jacket though. At night I'm very comfy in my tent even though the quicksilver isn't climbing above six degree very often.

Today, paddling was truly torturous as there was no current at all and the Danube is extremely wide at this stretch and it seems you are standing still. I'm assured by the amazingly helpful people at Straubing Canoe Club that the worst is behind me and that the current will pick up a bit from now on. I arrived at half past five -  a good day's paddling.

It's not that I really care about any of the above as I just had the best Kebab ever and I'm getting to sleep in a real bed tonight, have my own key and don't need to drag all my valuables around with me. All that for just nine Euro. Mustn't grumble... and Straubing Canoe Club - I think I love you...

Comments

1

Keep at it Ralph. Sounds like hard work but I'm enjoying the journal. Just when the going gets tough of Basic Skills and it'll all fade away.....

  Paul Jun 20, 2008 10:38 PM

About seal


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.