Existing Member?

ayubowan!!!! wow....look at that

i want kandy

USA | Sunday, 7 October 2007 | Views [593]

The drive as predicted was hell, long, winding, bumpy,unfinished roads didnt help my cramps at all and for the first time in my life i felt carsick. Eventually the awful roads that went up and through the hills brought me to Pinawella Elephant Orphanage. Entry was a steep 1000rs, but i gladly handed it over knowing that the money went to a very good cause.The orpanage was built in '75 to help out seven orphaned babies that lost their mothers because of man. Now the orphanage is home to almost 80 of the animals, many born here. At 9:30 a bottle feeding is done then at about 10:30 they are led across the road to the river where thay are all bathed. I got a head start across the street and secured myself a seat and had breakfast. Unfortunatelly i could not enjoy either. I poked at my omelette and could not be entertained by the elephants wallowing in the mud. I was lonely. It hit me like a ton of bricks,it was this place. All around was almnost only tourist and all the tourist were couples, kissing and hugging, holding hands and laughing togeteher---i was sick to my stomach. I went to the bathroom and like a child i cried. After realizing how ridiculous the whole thing was i washed my face,threw on my sunglasses, told myself to get over it, paid my bill and took off. About an hour later i arrived in Kandy!!! This is what i expected when i booked a ticket here. Lush green forests cover the hilltops,wildlife everywhere. I couldnt have picked a better place to stay---Spica Holiday Home. These people give off the vibe that they have known me for years, they are so warm and welcoming and damn they can cook. I went to my room and feel asleep in the warmth i found in this families home. I woke at about 7 pm to prayer songs being sung through the mountains and i headed downstairs and grabbed a book that i curled up with on the parlors couch. The couple was busy in the kitchen tending to dinner. After about an hour or so dinner was ready and we sat down at the table together for by far the BEST meal i have had since my arrival.

Tags: Mountains

About scarlett333


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.