Existing Member?

ayubowan!!!! wow....look at that

Made it :) my first day

USA | Wednesday, 3 October 2007 | Views [610]

10-03-07   11:00 am wednesday

The airport lost my luggage---big surprise. Im not letting that get me down though. My driver picked me up(an hour late) and tooke me to my room at oceanview guesthouse, negombo. The staff is so friendly. On the way here we stopped and tooke pics of the Dutch canal(circa 1650's). My room was too hot so i upgraded to one with an ac for a little more ...1800rs total. i love this place. 

10-4-07 11:33 pm

OOPS!!! I made the mistake of taking a nap and woke up in darkness. I planned on sleeping for about 30 minutes then starting my day. The thing that sucks is that i cant go out walking around and im starving. Damnit! Before my "nap" i did have the opportunity to go into town. I had to go to a money changer so the guesthouse owner called me a tuk-tuk, a three wheeled vehicle and not for the faint hearted!!!!. The streets were crowded and todayy they have a special wednesday market. Vendors are everywhere . After changing my money i saw the most beatiful saris, they cost about three times the amount a wanted to spend but i had to have them. I haggled my heart out and got two for 12,000 rs opposed to 10,000 each. The crooks.Afterward i went to the fishmarkets. it reeked. all over people were busy cuting, fileting, and selling every type of fish known. Bags of live crabs hung everwhere and as fish were being gutted their insides were fed to boney ratty looking dogs. In a field beside the market,which lies on the lagoon, blankets had been layed out where saltfish was cured. Baracuda, Sardines and many more sat in the hot sun covered in chunks of rock salt and left to dry. This process makes the fish last up to two weeks for eating. Gross. After the fish market i rode home. My balcony faces the road and a cemetery is acroos the street, beyond that is the lagoon which is to polluted for swimming and the streets are filled with dangerous addicts. From where i sit now the streets are bare, an occasional scooter, dog or tuk tuk passes but thats about it. From the cemetery all through the town white tassles are hung to represent someone who has passed away and buried in that lot. Its a nice idea. Guess i should try sleep again.

Tags: Adventures

About scarlett333


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.