Existing Member?

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Off the southern coast of Cambodia...

CAMBODIA | Saturday, 19 February 2011 | Views [803] | Comments [2]

While Paris was here visiting, we went on a bunch of different weekend trips to places throughout Cambodia.  One place I wanted to take her to was Sihanoukville (and yes, I did just have to copy & past that name in because I can NEVER remember how to spell it!).  Sihanoukville is on the southern coast of Cambodia and is most well-known for its BEACHES.  I’d heard it was a tourist hot-spot, but had no idea to what extent until we got there.  So Pear, Nom, me, and a friend of mine who Nom works with, Tommie, all headed down to the beach on a big, fun 6 hour bus ride playing your favorite Cambodian music videos all the way for about four dollars and fifty cents J 

We spent the first day in Sihanoukville itself, where the beachfront is just SWARMING with tourists, but the weather is perfect (as long as you like HOT), the ocean is clear & wonderful, and there are rows upon rows of places to get some food right by the water.  We even found a place that had chocolate-dipped fruit on a stick!!!  The chocolate mango was unbelievable!

The next day we decided to put a little bit of distance between us & the many, many, many other tourists there, and Tommie found a place for us to go to called Korong (or “Monkey Island” as it’s also commonly referred to) that’s about 2 ½ hours off the coast of Sihanoukville by boat.  It was a longer trek than we expected to actually GET to Monkey Island.  We knew about the 2 ½ hour boat ride, but didn’t take into account all the time we’d have to sit around waiting for different trucks to pick us up and deposit us at different stops along the way to reaching the actual boat.  But 5 hours later we reached what I’m convinced is one of the greatest places on earth!  It’s a small island with only 2 or 3 guesthouses on it so far, so it’s very remote, undeveloped, with very basic bungalows along the oceanfront. 

By the time we arrived it was late afternoon and we were all starving but wanted to go to the beach before the sun went down.  Paris stopped off at the guesthouse to grab some food, while Tommie, Noman, and I walked down a path for about 30 minutes which was a mixture of woods, rocks, and beach at different points… and we got to a long section of white-sandy beach and we were literally the ONLY 3 people out there! All you could see around you was beach that was backed up to a beautiful green forest & huge rocks, and then just beautiful, clear blue water in front of you with views of other distant islands scattered around.  It’s AMAZING!!!  One of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen.  You feel like you’re almost on a different planet because it’s so quiet, so peaceful, so relaxing… I just floated out there in the ocean until almost dark. 

After we had been out there for a little bit, Tommie said she wanted to go find Paris (I was nice enough to make Paris a trail of arrows in the sand so Paris would be able to find us like Hansel & Gretel J).  So Noman & I were out there floating around in the ocean (well, I guess “technically” I was the only one floating because he can’t swim), what felt like a million miles away from all humanity, and what do you know??? He pulls out a box with a Khmer ring in it from underneath the water & asks me to marry him while on one knee in the middle of the ocean!  I was just cracking up, asking him, “Where in the world did that box come from?  You just pulled it out from under the ocean!!”  But eventually I regained composure, said YES, and here we are, coming up on a wedding in JUNE!  So get ready for the wedding everybody J  I’m looking forward to celebrating with you!

Comments

1

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! I know that you are really excited. I love reading all of your stories and advenures. Have a great day. and save trip home!

  Robyn Martin Mar 25, 2011 4:13 AM

2

Thank you! :)

  saritaskr Apr 8, 2011 3:18 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.