Existing Member?

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

MALAYSIA | Sunday, 6 February 2011 | Views [543]

Fun visa stuff has sent us out of the country again for at least a few days.  This time to Malaysia!  To be completely honest, among the options, I was least excited about going to Malaysia even though I didn’t know much about the country at all.  I just knew it bordered Singapore and was a little hesitant about embarking back into masses of shopping malls & paying $30 for a taxi again.  But as the plane was flying over Malaysia and I looked down, I knew instantly that everything I had thought about Malaysia was wrong and that this place might have some potential afterall – all I could see from my little AirAsia seat was beautiful, thick jungle, and more trees, and more trees, and even more trees!  Yay for green!  I’m happy already J

We ended up staying in Kuala Lumpur (the capitol city) most of the trip, which was not a part of the plan, and most people who have been to Malaysia would be completely confused by this because there are so many different beautiful parts of the country!  But we were just completely struck by the architecture there first of all – gorgeous Turkish, Islamic style buildings on one side, with Chinese style housing on the next street over, add a good bit of Indian influence throughout, and oh!  Look over there!  That church & house looks like it came straight out of New England in the 1800s!  What?  There’s some crazy diversity here, that’s for sure… it’s fantastic! 

Of course, I did hear from people who actually LIVE there that there’s a good bit of racism & segregation with different ethnicities sticking together and not mixing well with the others, but first of all… that pretty much happens everywhere, and secondly, I was only there for a few days, so of course I didn’t get any sort of personal glimpse into that side of the city. 

I visited extravagant mosques, including the National Mosque & Masjid Jamek.  The National Mosque has certain hours allotted just for tourists so they don’t disrupt anyone’s prayer time.  At first, I didn’t quite get why not everyone was allowed to go in at prayer time, just to visit & see what it’s like.  But THEN, once the tourist time rolled around, I got the picture pretty quickly.  Tourists are crazy, man!  They’re (WE’RE) like hyper animals on crack bouncing around, wanting to see & do everything all at once.  Yeah, there’s a reason for “tourist hours” all right… tourist hours here I come!

They gave me a bright purple choir robe with a hood on it to wear, just so I could go in the building.  And there was a group of Korean women behind me who were busting out laughing when the guide put head scarves & robes on all of them so they could go inside the mosque as well.  I remember thinking that they were being disrespectful & might offend the guide.  However, I have to admit that after I got all robed up, all I wanted to do was flap around like a chicken & do the ‘walk like an Egyptian’ dance.  I tried to contain myself as much as possible, of course, but it’s not quite as easy as you’d originally think!  Something about hooded choir robes just brings out the crazy in ya’!  ;)

Apart from that, we visited all KINDS of places and I think we saw every single inch of the city – gorgeous gardens & parks, museums, markets, and then over to the Petrona Towers which are 2 MASSIVELY tall skyscrapers next to each other with upscale malls underneath.  They held the title of the tallest buildings in the WORLD until about 2003 or 2004 (and taller than both the Sears Tower in Chicago and the Empire State Building in New York, I believe).  The mall aspect of them truly resembled Singapore the most, but because we attacked it in moderation it was very cool.  Hey! I even found a fancy movie theather to go to for $5 (I miss the movies!).  Unfortunately, they only had sweet caramel popcorn, instead of the super healthy buttery loveliness we have in the States, but oh well … can’t win every time.  And it’s so UNREAL how expensive it is to go to the movies in the U.S.!  Especially when every theather I’ve been to in another country that I can even think of has been FARRRRRRR nicer & poshier (by a landslide!) than any theater I’ve been to in the U.S. 

On a different note, Malaysia also has SCORES of islands, jungles, volcanoes, and areas to visit that outdoor lovers rave about … maybe one day I’ll make it back for a longer span of time because I would love to travel around the WHOLE country.  I’d also consider living & teaching there in the near future.  There’s one job position right now that I kind of have in the back of my head for the fall… who knows??!

Another aspect of Malaysia that we were absolutely THRILLED about was the FOOD!  I heard the food was great, but I’ve heard that about many other places too and wasn’t that impressed… but WOW!  Malaysia’s got it goin’ on with the food!  Geeeeez!  And since it’s a Muslim country, most of the food is halaal (even McDonald’s!), which means the animals are killed in a humane way & are prayed over & they don’t include little unknown bits of crap in the food.  So for people who lean towards the “picky eater” label, and who aren’t even Muslim, halaal food is great!! J

Ah, Malaysia... who wants to go back with me???

 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.